Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1971, 1981., 1981. Book. Very Good. Hardcover. 20th printing ; of the 1971 edition ; 2 large, thick, very heavy volumes in blue with designs and lettering in gold ; xii, 4116 pp. ; 31 cm. ; LCCN: 76-188038 ; OCLC: 21685724 ; "Micrographic reproduction of the 13 volume Oxford English dictionary published in 1933./ "This reissue of A new English dictionary on historical principles as The Oxford English dictionary in twelve volumes is a reprint of the original ten-volume work. An additional volume comprises a supplement"--P. v./ Includes bibliographical references (v. 2, pp. 4094-4116)." ; v. 1. A-O -- v. 2. P-Z. Supplement and bibliography ; soiling to bottom of textblock from shelf ; crease to first signature, volumes 1 & 2 ; covers tight, with little wear ; vol. 2 has corner and edge bumps; a good set, without the slipcase and magnifying glass ; exhaustive ; 9 1/4 inches x 12 1/4 inches x 6 inches ; "The aim of this dictionary is to present in alphabetical series the words that have formed the English vocabulary from the time of the earliest records down to the present day, with all the relevant facts concerning their form, sense-history, pronunciation, and etymology. It embraces not only the standard language of literature and conversation, whether current at the moment, or obsolete, or archaic, but also the main technical vocabulary, and a large measure of dialectical usage and slang. Its basis is a collection of some five millions of excerpts from English literature of every period amassed by an army of voluntary readers and the editorial staff. Such a collection of evidence--it is represented by a selection of 1,800,000 quotations actually printed--could form the only possible foundation for the historical treatment of every word and idiom which is the raison d'être of the work." ; VG,VG.
- The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary : Complete Text Reproduced Micrographically
by Murray, James Augustus Henry, Sir,1837-1915 [Frederick James Furnivall (1825-1910), Thomas Watts, H. Wedgewood, James Platt (1861-1910), Henry Bradley (1845-1923) , Willliam A. Craigie (1867-1957), C.T. Onions (1873-1965), Burchfield, R. W. (1923-),
Bookseller: Joseph Valles - Books
- Bookseller Inventory #: 4826
- Title: The Compact Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary : Complete Text Reproduced Micrographically
- Author: Murray, James Augustus Henry, Sir,1837-1915 [Frederick James Furnivall (1825-1910), Thomas Watts, H. Wedgewood, James Platt (1861-1910), Henry Bradley (1845-1923) , Willliam A. Craigie (1867-1957), C.T. Onions (1873-1965), Burchfield, R. W. (1923-),
- Format/binding: Hardcover
- Book condition: Very Good
- Binding: Hardcover
- ISBN 10: 0198612125
- ISBN 13: 9780198612124
- Publisher: Oxford [England] ; New York : Oxford University Press, 1971, 1981.
- Place: Oxford
- Date published: 1981
- Keywords: english language dictionaries dictioanry oxford oed etymology derivations grammar
- Bookseller catalogs:
Catalog 68 - Language and Linguistics;
FOREIGN LANGUAGE STUDY / General;
Terms of sale:
All items subject to prior sale.
Returns accepted in same condition within 10 business days for any reason.
PAYMENT: Cash with order. International orders require payment in U.S. funds drawn on a U.S. Bank or through an International Money Order. Libraries and institutions may defer billing upon our receipt of purchase order.
Books graded conservatively with prominent defects mentioned.