Frankfurt am Main: Nicolaus Hoffmann for Jonas Rhodius. 1607. Contemporary vellum over boards blind-tooled with panel design 8vo . An important commentary on Euclid (1st: Rome, 1574) by the famous Jesuit mathematician Christopher Clavius; "Probably the man who did the most of all the German scholars of the 16th century to extend the knowledge of mathematics ... He was an excellent teacher of mathematics, and his textbooks were highly esteemed because of their arrangement, particularly in the Latin schools. Sixtus V testified to his standing, saying: 'Had the Jesuit order produced nothing else than this Clavius, on this account alone should it be praised'" (Smith, History of Math. I, p. 334) 2 volumes in on. , 671, ; 680 pages. Title printed in red and black. Woodcut printer's device on title-page with numerous text diagrams. Text browned with occasional marginal damp staining, contemporary owner's notes on front free endpaper and in lower margin of title. Early owner's purchase and binding note on back paste-down. § DeBacker-Sommervogel II, cols. 1213- 14; Graesse II, 512 "Célèbre commentaire de Clavius"; Wellcome, I, 2081 (vol. 2 only); Bibl. Dt. Mus. Libri Rari, 096; cf. Thomas-Stanford no. 19 (1574 ed.)
- Elementorum libri XV. Accessit liber XVI. De solidorum regularium cuiuslibet intra quodlibet comparatione. Omnes perspicuis demonstrationibus, accuratísque scholiis illustrati: nunc quartò editi, ac multarum rerum accessione post primam editionem locupletati
by EUCLID; CLAVIUS, Christopher, S.J
Bookseller: Jeffrey D. Mancevice, Inc.
- Bookseller Inventory #: 10009
- Title: Elementorum libri XV. Accessit liber XVI. De solidorum regularium cuiuslibet intra quodlibet comparatione. Omnes perspicuis demonstrationibus, accuratísque scholiis illustrati: nunc quartò editi, ac multarum rerum accessione post primam editionem locupletati
- Author: EUCLID; CLAVIUS, Christopher, S.J
- Book condition:
- Binding: Hardcover
- Publisher: Nicolaus Hoffmann for Jonas Rhodius
- Place: Frankfurt am Main
- Date published: 1607
Terms of sale:
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.