E-mail a friend
★ Share your review of this book and be automatically entered for a chance to win $50!
GLOSSARYSome terminology that may be used in this description includes:
The First Overland Mail. Butterfield Trail. St. Louis to San Francisco 1858-1861 and San Francisco to Memphis 1858 - 1861
by Lang, Walter B. Compiler and Editor
n.p.: Author, 1945. Hardcover. Very Good. Lang compiled 2 accounts St Louis to Memphis printed in 1940 (163 pp)and San Francisco to Memphis in 1945. (94 pp.) illus and maps.. This first is the account by Waterman L. Ormsby, a reporter who in 1858 crossed the western states as the sole through passenger of the Butterfield Overland Mail stage on its first trip from St. Louis to San Francisco. Ormsby's reports, which promptly appeared in the "New York Herald," are lively and exciting. He describes the journey in close detail, giving full accounts of the conveyances, the accommodations, etc. The frontis is a fold-out reproduction of the earliest known through timetable of the Overland Mail Company.The 2nd from Lang's Preface: "In this.is presented for the first time the complete report of a journey made by the correspondent of the San Francisco Bulletin over the alternative route from San Francisco to Memphis, Tennessee.There are also included a number of shorter narrations of historic interest concerning the operation of the Butterfield Mail Stages.". Bound in cloth and in a fine red box.
aozz 112 ABS13
aozz 112 ABS13
- The First Overland Mail. Butterfield Trail. St. Louis to San Francisco 1858-1861 and San Francisco to Memphis 1858 - 1861 by Lang, Walter B. Compiler and Editor
- Bookseller: Chiricahua Book Company (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #: 10-11181
- Title: The First Overland Mail. Butterfield Trail. St. Louis to San Francisco 1858-1861 and San Francisco to Memphis 1858 - 1861
- Author: Lang, Walter B. Compiler and Editor
- Format/binding: Hardcover
- Book condition: Very Good
- Quantity available: 1
- Binding: Hardcover
- Publisher: Author
- Place: n.p.
- Date published: 1945
- Bookseller catalogs: TRANSPORTATION RAILROADS STAGECOACHES WAGONS; AHC; wtha;
- Subjects: HISTORY / United States / State & Local / Southwest (AZ, NM, OK, TX); HISTORY / United States / State & Local / West (AK, CA, CO, HI, ID, MT, NV, UT, WY);
Terms of sale: ALL MY BOOKS ARE IN GOOD USED CONDITION. MAJOR DEFECTS ARE NOTED. I try to note defects such as tears, chipping, stains folds or wear and scuffing to the Dust jacket or the binding if no dust jacket exists. I note any damage to covers or the pages, spotting stains marking tears etc, I do not note signatures or former owners stamps or book plates unless applied to any printed page or have been marked out.
$ 250.00$3.00 shipping to USA
30 Day Return Guarantee
- Calculate shipping
- Ask the bookseller a question
Biblio.com member since: 2004