Scroll over to zoom
E-mail a friend
★ Share your review of this book and be automatically entered for a chance to win $50!
GLOSSARYSome terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined ...[more]
MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS, COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE INDIANS IN THE BACK SETTLEMENTS OF AMERICA [caption title]
by [Rogers, Robert]:
London: Thomas Hart, 1776.. Mezzotint engraving, 14 x 9 inches; matted and framed to 20 1/2 x 15 inches. Minor soiling. Matted and framed. Very good. Engraved portrait of Major Robert Rogers, showing him in his military uniform with musket and powder horn, with three Indians in the background behind him. This is the best known image of Robert Rogers, and is one of a series of portraits of military leaders from the American Revolution, several of which are imagined images. Rogers acted as a scout for the 1755 expedition against Crown Point, and in 1756 he became the captain of an independent company of Rangers. He made scores of raids against the French in New York, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, going as far west as the shores of Lake Huron. His exploits made him the most romantic and famous figure of the war in America. He published A CONCISE ACCOUNT OF NORTH AMERICA and the JOURNALS OF MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS in 1765, which brought him further fame and recognition. "By this time, however, his fundamental weaknesses of character were becoming well known, although as early as 1755, in order to escape prosecution for counterfeiting New Hampshire currency, he had entered a New Hampshire regiment. It was soon afterwards that he became a captain on William Johnson's Crown Point expedition. In 1769 he was imprisoned at London for debt and in 1776 by Washington as a spy. He escaped to the British but dishonesty and dissipation kept him on the downhill road and he died in obscurity" - Streeter. A nice engraving of this hero from the French and Indian War. STREETER SALE 1032. BM CATALOGUE OF PRINTS 5339.
- MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS, COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE INDIANS IN THE BACK SETTLEMENTS OF AMERICA [caption title] by [Rogers, Robert]:
- Bookseller: William Reese Company - Americana (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #: WRCAM 43459
- Title: MAJOR ROBERT ROGERS, COMMANDER IN CHIEF OF THE INDIANS IN THE BACK SETTLEMENTS OF AMERICA [caption title]
- Author: [Rogers, Robert]:
- Book condition:
- Publisher: London: Thomas Hart, 1776.
- Keywords: STREETER SALE 1032. BM CATALOGUE OF PRINTS 5339.
Terms of sale: All material is shipped subject to approval, but notification of return must be made within ten days and returns made in a prompt and conscientious fashion.
$ 9,500.00$8.00 shipping to USA
30 Day Return Guarantee
- Calculate shipping
- Ask the bookseller a question
Biblio.com member since: 2006
Location: New Haven,Connecticut