The Curiosities of Ale & Beer:
by [COOK, Charles Henry; as] BICKERDYKE, John (pseud.)
Book DescriptionLondon, Field & Tuer, The Leadenhall Press, &c., n.d. , . An Entertaining History. (Illustrated with over Fifty Quaint Cuts.) ... In Part collected by J.G. Fennell; now largely augmented with Manifold Matters of Singular Note and Worthy Mention by the Author and his Friend J.M. D[ixon]. Large octavo. (252 × 158 mm). Frontispiece, title-page vignette and numerous illustrations to the text which is further enlivened by historiated initials, various head- and tailpieces, cul-de-lampes, and printer's devices. Very good in a Chocolate Porter full morocco binding by the Chelsea Bindery, single gilt fillet to the boards, gilt title, raised bands to the spine, single fillet panels within the compartments, top edge gilt, others uncut. A handsome and very sober presentation, in decided contrast to the content. First Edition. A splendidly and wilfully eccentric collection of beer lore and literature, a typical Leadenhall Press production, motivated by a sprightly and slightly anachronistic antiquarianism.
- The Curiosities of Ale & Beer: by [COOK, Charles Henry; as] BICKERDYKE, John (pseud.)
- Bookseller: Peter Harrington (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #: 38312
- Title: The Curiosities of Ale & Beer:
- Author: [COOK, Charles Henry; as] BICKERDYKE, John (pseud.)
- Binding: Hardcover
- Publisher: London, Field & Tuer, The Leadenhall Press, &c., n.d.
- Date published: