The Works of John Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave, Marquis of Normanby, and Duke of Buckingham
by Sheffield, John
Book DescriptionLondon: Printed by John Barber, 1723. Large quarto. Two volumes. I: [xviii], 3-453pp.; II: [vi], 3-295pp. I: 4, B*4, B4-Z4, Aa4-Zz4, Aaa4-Mmm4 (Mmm4 blank); II: 2, **B4-*C4, B4-Z4, Aa4-Pp4. First edition. Title-pages to both volumes in red-and-black. With the half-title to volume I present. Declaration leaf signed Carteret before title in volume I. With the misnumbered and repeated page numbers in second volume which includes Feast of the Gods and Some Account of the Revolution both of which are believed to have been suppressed after publication by order of the House of Lords and the two separate titles for Julius Caesar and Marcus Brutus dated 1722. Pages 361-362 in volume one missing. Contemporary panelled calf, rehinged. Hinges cracked; top and bottom of both volumes chipped. With a frontispiece portrait after Kneller, engraved plate of Buckingham's tomb, and engraved vignettes and initials throughout the text. Rothschild 1834; Griffith 137. From the libraries of the Marquess of Donegall and Joshua Smith of Stoke Park. With the two suppressed sections in volume II present. Most copies are lacking these two sections, although some have the offending passages reprinted on different paper and inserted in their proper places. Volume I was limited to 500 copies plus 100 on fine or large-paper copies..
- The Works of John Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave, Marquis of Normanby, and Duke of Buckingham by Sheffield, John
- Bookseller: Sam Gatteno Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #: 1912
- Title: The Works of John Sheffield, Earl of Mulgrave, Marquis of Normanby, and Duke of Buckingham
- Author: Sheffield, John
- Publisher: London: Printed by John Barber, 1723.
- Keywords: English Literature Theatre
- Bookseller catalogs: Eighteenth Century Books;