Student Leadership Competencies Guidebk Paperback - 2013 - 1st Edition
by Corey Seemiller
From the publisher
Bridge the gap between leadership development and career preparation!
This guidebook gives leadership educators the tools they need to help students develop the competencies necessary for their chosen careers and required by their academic programs. It also offers a way to understand and demonstrate the effectiveness of leadership programs.
Organized into chapters each focused on one of 60 leadership competencies common across 522 academic degree programs accredited by 97 agencies, each chapter covers:
- a definition and description of the competency through the lens of each of four dimensions: knowledge, value, ability, and behavior;
- a scenario related to college student leadership that showcases the competency in action;
- related competencies to help readers understand how developing one competency may also intentionally or unintentionally develop another;
- a correlation of the competency to the Relational Leadership Model, the Social Change Model, the Five Practices of Exemplary Leadership, and/or Emotionally Intelligent Leadership; and
- tangible curricular ideas to use with students to help them develop each dimension of the competency.
From the rear cover
Survey after survey finds that the qualities employers most look for in recent college graduates are those related to leadership, even ahead of technical job skills. Finally, the must-have resource that bridges the gap between leadership development and career preparation is here.
Based on the learning outcomes of 522 academic programs within 97 academic accrediting organizations and concepts embedded in contemporary leadership models, The Student Leadership Competencies Guidebook explores 60 leadership competencies essential for effectiveness across a broad spectrum of careers. This Guidebook, along with the accompanying Jossey-Bass Student Leadership Competencies Database and Student Self-Evaluation Templates (both available online), provides a road map for incorporating leadership competencies into program development, curriculum design, and assessment to help students develop and enhance these 60 leadership competencies in order to effectively engage in leadership. The author defines each competency through the lens of four dimensions, knowledge, value, ability, and behavior, and provides both an illustrative scenario related to college student leadership that showcases the competency in action and tangible curricular ideas to use with students.
"This guidebook is a new foundational resource for both curricular and cocurricular student leadership education. Supported by her extensive research, Seemiller presents the leadership competencies in an approachable framework and includes how to address them in the curriculum."--Susan R. Komives, coauthor, Exploring Leadership: For College Students Who Want to Make a Difference, Third Edition
"The Student Leadership Competencies Guidebook provides the scaffolding required to advance both academics' and practitioners' ability to design curriculum focused on behavioral outcomes and provide the fabric for assessment of students' lifelong leadership competency development."--Craig Slack, director, National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs
"Given how leadership can be defined in so many ways, a comprehensive resource like this is essential to assessing if what we are doing is truly helping to develop the competencies intended through our programs."--A. Paul Pyrz, Jr., president, LeaderShape
- Title Student Leadership Competencies Guidebk
- Author Corey Seemiller
- Binding Paperback
- Edition number 1st
- Edition 1
- Pages 176
- Volumes 1
- Language ENG
- Publisher Jossey-Bass
- Date 2013-11-25
- Illustrated Yes
- Features Bibliography, Illustrated, Table of Contents
- ISBN 9781118720479 / 1118720474
- Weight 0.95 lbs (0.43 kg)
- Dimensions 10.8 x 8.4 x 0.6 in (27.43 x 21.34 x 1.52 cm)
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Higher Education
- Library of Congress subjects Student activities, Leadership - Study and teaching (Higher)
- Library of Congress Catalog Number 2013038784
- Dewey Decimal Code 378.198
About the author
Corey Seemiller is the director of Leadership Programs at the University of Arizona, teaches several leadership courses, and oversees Leadership Courses for Credit and the minor in Leadership Studies and Practice.
More Copies for Sale
- very good
- very good
- very good