by GREENAWAY (Kate) and LOCKER (Frederick)
- See description
Kingston, New York
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
GREENAWAY (Kate) and LOCKER (Frederick):
Cradle Verses. 1880. Illuminated Manuscript of Four Poems by Frederick Locker, written by his own hand, with extensive illustrations in watercolors by Kate Greenaway. This charming book was prepared on commission for presentation on the birthday of Frederick Locker's wife, Jane. 24mo.,  pages; presentation vellum binding with full watercolors on corners, titled: "Babies and Blossoms", all edges green. Housed in custom green morocco leather box, gilt-lettered: "Hannah Jane Locker | 1880", with hand-made velvet pouch.
Unique and extremely charming miniature book.
Reference: Spielman and Layard p.96, illustrated pp 280-281.
Provenance: Jane Locker Lampson, thence by descent; acquired by Mrs. Robert S. Pirie from Seven Gables bookshop circa 1961.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- BATTLEDORE LTD (US)
- Seller’s Inventory #
- Cradle Verses.
- GREENAWAY (Kate) and LOCKER (Frederick)
- Kate Greenaway
- Unique Watercolor designs on Vellum
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- First and only edition, unique manuscript.
- Place of Publication
- Original manuscript
- Date Published
- Greenaway, poems, poetry, nursery rhyme, Locker, miniature book
- Bookseller catalogs
- Antiquarian, Rare & Collectible Books;
- 24mo, pp.
Terms of Sale
About the Seller
About BATTLEDORE LTD
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book that is less then 3 inches in width and ... [More]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also... [More]
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]