Introducing Commission Free sales!!!

From the beginning, Biblio has strived to find ways of supporting independent booksellers. What booksellers need these days are more orders and fewer fees. To that end, we are proud to introduce Commission Free member to member sales on Biblio!

Booksellers are among the best book buyers. A significant number of the orders placed through Biblio are placed by registered Biblio booksellers buying stock, filling special orders, or just buying books for their private collections (booksellers are also book collectors, of course!). In the past, we’ve offered CashBack on purchases, but we want to do an even better job of increasing bookseller to bookseller sales on Biblio. Effective September 1st, all qualified purchases made by a BiblioDirect Member are commission free!

So what is a qualified purchase?

• As a selling bookseller: You need to offer at least a 10% member discount and maintain at least 150 books for sale on Biblio on average. This should be easy since Biblio isn’t charging you commission. As long as you are passing some of that commission savings onto other bookseller members by offering a member discount, you won’t be charged commission on orders coming from other BiblioDirect members.
  • As a purchasing bookseller / customer: You need to be logged into your Biblio bookseller account when you place your order. When you are logged into your Biblio bookseller account when ordering, you will see the BiblioDirect member discounted price, and the bookseller you are ordering from pays no commission on the sale. Only Biblio’s payment processing fee applies if Biblio is processing the payment on the order.

That’s all there is to it!

To make this possible, we are phasing out fulfillment discounts and cashback purchasing incentives. Since the largest fulfillment discount that any bookseller could earn was only a few dollars per billing period, it wasn’t enough to be meaningful to most booksellers. Cashback incentives were effective, but weren’t as effective as we felt they could be. Instead of rebating a small percent of each purchases, we will simply be not charging you to begin with! By offering Commission Free Member to Member sales, we expect that Biblio booksellers will all see more orders and greater savings offered via BiblioDirect Member Discounts.

This entry was written by and posted on August 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm, filed under For Booksellers. Bookmark the permalink

23 Responses to “Introducing Commission Free sales!!!”

1. R

Great idea! We are happy to extend a 20% reciprocal discount to Biblio booksellers, postage extra.

2. Mayger

Thanks for this, but the link to the member discount accessed via the “member discount” above is incorrect – if you enter 5 into the box with a % sign you get a discount of 500%! Please correct this!

3. Wormhole Books

I see what the previous poster means. When I go to Member discount, I see 0.15%. I’m sure you mean for that to say 15% or 0.15 without the percentage sign. I thought computer geeks knew maths!

(But this is a very good innovation. I hope it takes off.)

• Stephen

Sorry for the error in the percent posting. We’ve fixed the tool to update discounts, and fixed any discounts for any dealers who were accidentally offering more than they intended to.

4. Spencer Agency

Seems like a good idea, and certainly less cumbersome for us. Do we need to utilize our earned book discounts before then?

Leland

• Brendan

No, you don’t need to use up your Bibliobucks before then – they’re yours to use whenever you like.

5. RareNonFiction.com

This is a smart and positive development which we look forward to using to our mutual benefit. Thank-you.

6. Maya Jones Books

A great idea which takes me back to when I started listing books online in 1998. Definitely a thoughtful and considerate move.

7. KingChamp Books

Thanks for this benefit. This will certainly increase my book-buying within the Biblio family. Once upon a time, ABE offered a similar deal but then they got greedy. Now, as an Amazon front, they are charging commission even on shipping fees — a tremendous disservice to sellers and buyers alike. Hats off for showing ethical leadership.

8. Mind-Rise Media

Brilliant idea.

9. Mind-Rise Media

[Hey, just a thought… I am hoping someone can do something about the blinking ‘commission free’ at the top of my bookseller menu? I find it terribly distracting. Thank you!]

10. Ruth Cole

I already offer a 15% discount of all my
    books. How am I affected by this offer. Do
    I have to do anything

• admin

Hi Ruth – nothing at all! All your dealer to dealer sales will be automatically commission free since you’re offering a 15% discount already.

11. David G Anderson Books

We offer 10%, but if a 5% discounter purchases from us do they get the whole 10% whilst we only get 5% from them?

12. Books Tell You Why

While this sounds like a great idea, help me out here:
    – We have and continue to offer a 20% trade discount
    – When I purchased in the past, I then got up to 26% discount with the bibliobucks.

So, is the thought that I buy more because I pay more? or buy more because of what? Last time I checked a buyer buys more because there’s an incentive for him/her to do so.

With this, you will (potentially) get more sellers to list but at least for us, you’ve affirmatively created an incentive to buy less. But, as our buying on Biblio is only for a small 5 digit amount every year it probably doesn’t matter.

I hope you’re tracking b2b sales and will see the impact of this change yourself. As it overall seems somewhat cost neutral to Biblio (or could be), I’m pretty sure I’m missing something.

Joachim

• admin

Hi Joachim,

Actually the intent here was (and is) to encourage more booksellers to offer discounts for dealer to dealer sales. Before this change, less than 40% of sellers offered a discount. After this change, more than 60% (and growing) are offering discounts on average of 14%. This additional passthrough savings will ultimately result in better savings for you as a buyer than the 6% cashback we were able to offer – not to mention more sales for you as a seller.

You’re right, the change was fairly neutral for us in terms of costs.

Best,
      Brendan

13. cheapestbooksforu

Great! We will provide 20% discount of any type books to Biblio Booksellers but shipping charge will have to pay extra.

14. Susana Valdivia

I recently discovered your website and love it. Simple to use and you have fantastic books. I look forward to buying and selling.
    Vivan los libros antiguos. Hasta luego, SUSANA

15. Patricia Adams Clapp

I am new at all of this and am having the time of my life. From what I have seen Biblio is the BEST, they seem to care about the booksellers and in return I would gladly offer a 20% off to anyone who wants one of my books. I have tried a few, will not mention them but have never received the courtesy as I have with Biblio.

16. Angel Jimenez

me agradaria ver una filial de este sitio en español, sería una forma extraordinaria de apoyar los libreros hispanohablantes.
    baje el software pero tengo dificultades con su uso, existe algun catalogo electronico para aprender su manejo?
    gracias por su invaluable apoyo.

17. william john powell

Sounds good

18. google

I liked your article is an interesting technology
    thanks to google I found you

19. Paragraphs Bookstore