The Cataloguer's Desk: "Is My Harry Potter Book Valuable?"

Last night marked the premier of the first of two feature length films that make up the final book in the much-acclaimed Harry Potter series, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

To celebrate this event, Laura Massey of “The Cataloguer’s Desk” blog has offered up a very clear and concise article to help you to determine if your copy of Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone is one of those rare and collectible first edition, first printings.

Go and have a read, and even if your copy is one of the battered and abused non-collectible editions, crack it open and let yourself enter the world of Privet Drive and Hogwarts again!

This entry was written by and posted on November 19, 2010 at 10:39 am, filed under Book Blog Network, Book Collecting, Book Identification and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink

7 Responses to “The Cataloguer's Desk: "Is My Harry Potter Book Valuable?"”

1. helen

I have a book written by Evangelist John R. Rice written in 1945. The HOME -COURTSHIP, MARRIAGE, and CHILDREN. Copywrite 1945. Picture of wife and child 1938. Got when my Grandmother passed away years ago. It has place for marriage certificate and family record. Also have LOTS! of other books from around 1930’s 40’s. Need help to know if important.

2. Melissa

I have a harry potter book order of the phoenix 1st edition all the numbers match signed by a peter June 22, 2003

3. Chelsea Church

I have a Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone hard back book. It has credit to Joanne Rowling, not jk Rowling. It also has the original picture on the front. However it was printed by Raincoast Books and it’s number reads 10 9 8 7. It also has the misprint on page 53 of the supplies needed and wand being on the list twice. I was curious if it was valuavble?

• Jordyn

I’m wondering if you ever discovered the worth? I have the exact same edition as you.

4. Ainsley

I have all the requirements for the rare book except that its numbers read 10 9 8 7 6, instead of it needing to be 10 down to 1. Is my book still valuable?

5. Alec

I have a 1997 Book With all requirements (1 wand typo, Bloomsbury, ect.) but it says 10 9 8 7 6 5 (paperback)

6. Thomas martin

Hi I have a copy of the goblet of fire and numbers go from 1 to 20 on paperback, is this worth any sort of money