Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
As he searched for evidence of Kali Yug, the "age of darkness" predicted by an ancient Hindu cosmology in a final epoch of strife and corruption, Dalrymple encountered a region that thrilled and surprised him. Venturing to places rarely visited by foreigners, he presents compelling portraits of a diverse range of figures. His love for the subcontinent comes across in every page, which makes its chronicles of political corruption, ethnic violence and social disintegration all the more poignant. The result is a dark yet vibrant travelogue, and a unique look at a region that continues to be marked by rapid change and unlimited possibilities as it struggles to reconcile the forces of modernity and tradition.
Contents: Introduction -- The North. The age of Kali ; In the kingdom of Avadh ; The city of widows ; Warrior queen: the Rajmata of Gwalior ; East of Eton -- In Rajasthan. The sad tale of Bahveri Devi ; Caste wars ; Sati Mata -- The new India. Two Bombay portraits ; Finger-lickin' bad: Bangalore and the fast-food invaders -- The South. At the court of the fish-eyed goddess ; Under the Char Minar ; Parashakti -- On the Indian Ocean. At Donna Georgina's ; Up the tiger path ; The sorcerer's grave -- Pakistan. Imran Khan: out for a duck ; On the frontier ; Blood on the tracks ; Benazir Bhutto: Mills & Boon in Karachi.
William Dalrymple is the author of seven acclaimed works of history and travel, including City of Djinns , which won the Young British Writer of the Year Prize and the Thomas Cook Travel Book award; the bestselling From the Holy Mountain ; White Mughals , which won Britain's most prestigious history prize, the Wolfson; and The Last Mughal , which won the Duff Cooper Prize for History and Biography. He divides his time between New Delhi and London, and is a contributor to The New York Review of Books, The New Yorker , and The Guardian .
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Books of the World (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Age of Kali: Travels and Encounters in India
- William Dalrymple
- Trade Paperback
- Book condition
- New New
- Quantity available
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- June 1999
- Kali Yug, Hindu, Hinduism, travel, travelogue, customs, social life, Pakistan, India
- Bookseller catalogs
- India; Exploration, Expeditions, and Discoveries; Religion & Spirituality;
Terms of Sale
Books of the World
About the Seller
About Books of the World
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- trade paperback
- Used to indicate any paperback book that is larger than a mass-market paperback and is often more similar in size to a hardcover...[more]
- remainder mark
- Usually an ink marking of some sort which indicates that the book was designated a remainder. In most cases, it can be found on...[more]