Astronomy : in five books
by LONG, Roger
- near fine
- Near Fine
COLUMBIA, Missouri, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
1742 1st Astronomy by Roger Long ZODIAC Planets Comets Navigation Newton Physics
Roger Long was an 18th-century English astronomer from Cambridge. While little is known of his life, he is certainly best-known for his book 'Astronomy' – a thorough treatise studying all aspects of astronomy. In this treatise, Long covers the surface and phases of the moon, planetary orbits, the rings of Saturn, comets and meteors, behavior of sunlight, the zodiac and astrological signs, as well as the importance of astronomy on navigation.
While the contents of this book are extensive, the full-page and folding engravings set this work apart from other astronomy texts of this era.
Item number: #18660
Astronomy : in five books
Cambridge: printed for the author: 1742-1764 (i.e. 1784). First edition.
· Collation: Complete with all pages; 5 books in 2 volumes
o Vol. 1 (Books 1-2) – xvi, , 356
o Vol. 2 (Books 3-5) – iv, 357-728, 
o Illustrated with 97 full-page and folding engravings, plus engraved frontispieces in each volume
· Provenance: Handwritten – Ralph Kraum, 1947
o Ralph Kraum (1890-1971) was a modern American astrologer, whose main interests included attempting to uncover the birth dates and horoscopes of famous historical figures using planetary movement. Kraum left numerous pages of notes within these volumes.
· Language: English
· Binding: Leather; tight and secure
· Size: ~10.25in X 8.25in (26.5cm x 21cm)
Very Fast. Very Safe. Free Shipping Worldwide.
Customer satisfaction is our priority! Notify us with 7 days of receiving, and we will offer a full refund without reservation!
Photos available upon request.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Astronomy : in five books
- LONG, Roger
- Leather; tight and secure
- Book Condition
- Used - Near Fine
- Quantity Available
- for the author
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 1742-1764 (i.e. 1784
- 1742 1st Astronomy by Roger Long ZODIAC Planets Comets Navigation Newton Physicsrare, antique, old, first edition, 1st state, provenance, signed, inscribed, dust jacket, vellum, manuscript, engravings, illustrations, leather, plates, maps, antiquarian
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
About the Seller
About Schilb Antiquarian Rare Books
This Book’s Categories
Join the Bibliophiles’ Club and start saving 10% on every book.
$29.95 / Year