Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
RANDON, Gilbert. Betes, Betises, Boutades. Suite de Quarante-Huit Dessins Comiques Colories ComposÃ©s par Randon. Pont-a-Mousson: Haguenthal, n.d. [ca. 1860].
First (only) edition. Oblong quarto (6 5/8 x 10 1/4 in; 168 x 263 mm). Forty-eight hand-colored illustrations heightened by gum arabic on twenty-four lithographed plates.
Original hand-colored lithographed boards. The mildest of rubbing to edges and joints, otherwise a fine copy.
Only one copy in institutional holdings worldwide, at University of Queensland. This book has, evidently, never seen the inside of an auction room; the ABPC Index has no records for it at all.
"Beasts, Nonsense, and Jokes" is an extremely scarce suite of anthropomorphic illustrations depicting animals in human situations, in the mode of J.J. Grandville's Metamophoses du Jour.
Gilbert Randon also illustrated La Vie de Troupier, Paris ca. 1855 (Lipperheide 3679); Messieurs nos fils & mesdemoiselles nos filles, Paris ca. 1860 (Lipperheide 3680); Les Petites miseres, Paris, ca. 1860 (Lipperheide 3681); La Sagesse des Nations, Paris ca. 1860 (Lipperheide 3682). There is no mention of Betes, Betises, Boutades.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- David Brass Rare Books, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Betes, Betises, Boutades
- RANDON, Gilbert
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- Pont-a-Mousson: Haguenthal, 1860
Terms of Sale
David Brass Rare Books, Inc.
We will extend to you a 48-hour approval period on all items that are purchased sight unseen. If you are not completely satisfied with the item simply contact us within 48 hours after receipt, and then return it in the same condition you received it for a full refund, less freight charges, or any related costs including credit card transactions, taxes, and duties levied, especially when returning from other countries.
About the Seller
About David Brass Rare Books, Inc.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]