Blason ou Art Heraldique
by Denis Diderot, Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Complete with all 29 copperplate engravings (one triple folding plate counted as three) and 26 pages of explanatory text.
With over 750 heraldic shields comprising:
650 examples of heraldic motifs (Pl. I to XII)
21 coats of arms of religious ranks, helms of aristocracy (Pl. XIII to XIV)
36 coats of arms of kings and rulers of Europe, Russia, Ethiopia, Persia, China, etc. (Pl. XV to XVIII)
24 coats of arms of French nobility (Pl. XIX to XX)
63 coats of arms within a genealogical tree of the kings of France going back five generations from Louis XVI, beheaded in the French Revolution, to Louis XIII (Triple folding plate, Pl. XXI)
12 coats of arms with supporting mermaids, bears, tigers, hounds, gryphons, eagles, etc. (Pl. XXII)
95 coats of arms of military and religious orders with their names neatly written in pencil (Pl. XXIII-XXVII)
Half leather, spine with five raised bands, gilt fleurs-de-lys, blue cloth title label on spine with gilt letters "Noblesse de France", boards covered in blue cloth with gilt leather title label on front board "L'Art Heraldique de la Noblesse de France", marbled endpapers, all pages and plates remounted on hinges.
Rebound by the Wyvern Bindery, London.
Binding in very good condition apart from slight fading to cloth boards, copperplates crisp and dark, interior mostly clean but with some staining to a few plates outside the image.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Blason ou Art Heraldique
- Denis Diderot, Jean-Baptiste le Rond d'Alembert
- Half leather and cloth boards
- Book Condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- Brisson, David, Le Breton, Durand
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Folio, 41 x 27cm
- Blason, Art Heraldique, Heraldry, Diderot, Encyclopedie, chivalry, shield, escutcheon, engraving, copperplate,
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....