The Book of Archery, being the complete history and practice of the art, ancient and modern, interspersed with numerous interesting anecdotes, and an account of the existing toxophilite societies.
by Hansard, George Agar (Gwent Bowman)
- See item description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Henry G. Bohn. London. Third edition. 1845. 8vo. xxi, (1), 456pp. Title dated 1841. Engraved frontispiece, half title dated 1845 (as usual).13 further engraved plates. 24 outline plates. Original decorative cloth, with gilt and embossed decorative boards. Elaborate gilt spine, slightly rubbed and sunned. Edges untrimmed. Renewed endpapers. Occasional light spotting/foxing.
George Agar Hansard (1796–1876) "Gwent Bowman". Author, gentleman and sportsman. The legendary Gwent Bowmen are regarded as the finest of all, evidenced by their victory at the Battle of Agincourt. The Agincourt roll of honour can be seen at Brecon Cathedral.
A comprehensive descriptive history of archery. Sections include: Juvenile Bowmen, Equipments, Female Archery, Welsh Archery, French Archery, The Crossbow, Societies, Yew Trees, Yew Bows, Power, The Shaft, Rural Archery, Greek and Roman Archery. Includes anecdotes and descriptions of Rabbit shooting at Britton Ferry, Fauna Gooma shooting in the South Sea Islands, Popinjay shooting, Guiana Indian shafts, Herefordshire Bowmen, etc etc.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Book of Archery, being the complete history and practice of the art, ancient and modern, interspersed with numerous interesting anecdotes, and an account of the existing toxophilite societies.
- Hansard, George Agar (Gwent Bowman)
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- Third edition
- Henry G. Bohn
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Archery, Toxophily, Wales
- Bookseller catalogs
- History; Welsh; Military History; Field Sports; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Damage done to a book cover or dust jacket caused by exposure to direct sunlight. Very strong fluorescent light can cause...[more]
- half title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined...[more]
This Book’s Categories
- Bindings & Editions Fine Bindings
- Countries & Cultures Europe Great Britain United Kingdom
- History Western History European History Western European History British History
- Languages & Language Languages Welsh
- Sports & Games Field Sports
- Antiquarian & Rare Collectible Books
- Military & Military History Military Collectibles