THE BOTANICAL MAGAZINE; or, FLOWER-GARDEN DISPLAYED: in which the most Ornamental Foreign Plants, cultivated in the Open Ground, the Green-House, and the Stove, are accurately represented in their natural Colours. (Volume 1)
by Curtis, William
- very good
- Very Good
Rougemont, North Carolina, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Printed by Stephen Couchman, For W. Curtis, 1793. First edition thus. Leather. Very Good. 1st edition, thus. Volume 1 only. A Very Good copy. 8vo., with engraved frontispiece and 40 hand coloured plates. Bound in half red morocco and marbled paper over boards, with title on spine in gilt. 3 front blank end papers, 5 blank rear end papers. Handsome bookplate. Boards lightly rubbed, spine more so. Front paste down foxed. Frontispiece dampstained, transferring to a lesser degree to the title page. Text and plates generally clean, with occasional off-setting and a dot of foxing. A Very Good copy. *** Originally issued in monthly parts, each consisting of three plates and accompanying letterpress text: this edition a reprint in annual volumes. Text leaves are bound facing the plates they describe and numbered to correspond to that plate. Drawings for the plates were made by: James Sowerby, Sydenham Edwards and Francis Sansom; coloring supervised by William Graves.*** Bookplate of known book collector Thomas Prentice. ***.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Frey Fine Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- THE BOTANICAL MAGAZINE; or, FLOWER-GARDEN DISPLAYED: in which the most Ornamental Foreign Plants, cultivated in the Open Ground, the Green-House, and the Stove, are accurately represented in their natural Colours. (Volume 1)
- Curtis, William
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- First edition thus
- Printed by Stephen Couchman, For W. Curtis
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- botanical, gardens, linnaeus, botany, gardening, color, colour, plates, plate book,
Terms of Sale
Frey Fine Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2019
Rougemont, North Carolina
Ask Seller a Question
About Frey Fine Books
Antiquarian bookseller, with over 15 years experience.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- Very generally, "leaves" refers to the pages of a book, as in the common phrase, "loose-leaf pages." A leaf is a single sheet...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- Marbled Paper
- Decorative colored paper that imitates marble with a veined, mottled, or swirling pattern. Commonly used as the end papers or...
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Any printing of a book which follows the original edition. By definition, a reprint is not a first edition.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...