The Bridegroom: Stories
by Ha Jin
Standard Delivery: 10 to 28 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
A collection of short stories, brilliantly exploring the lives of ordinary Chinese, as their constricted society begins to open up to the West, from the author of Waiting, confirming Ha Jin's reputation as a master storyteller.This new collection of short stories by the award-winning author of Waiting confirms Ha Jin's reputation as a master storyteller, as well as a master of the miniature.In The Bridegroom, the twelve stories capture a China in transition, moving from Maoism towards a more open society. For these men and women, starting to feel the influence of the West, the daily dramas of a system that still struggles to control their every move and thought are made all the more painful by this. As his characters, from an entrepreneur, transformed from black-market criminal to free market hero, to the workers at Cowboy Chicken, to the professor mistaken by the police for a saboteur, continue to struggle against petty injustices and heartbreaks, Ha Jin celebrates their lives and humanity with the understated humour and simplicity that has won him widespread acclaim.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Powell's Bookstores Chicago (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Bridegroom: Stories
- Ha Jin
- Book condition
- New Used - Like New
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Place of Publication
- New York, New York, U.s.a.
- This edition first published
- September 11, 2001
Terms of Sale
Powell's Bookstores Chicago
All orders subject to previous sale. Domestic Standard ships USPS Bound Printed Matter; Domestic Expedited ships UPS Ground; International ships via Air courier. All orders over $200.00 upgraded to UPS Ground without additional charge.
About the Seller
About Powell's Bookstores Chicago
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- text block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a...[more]