Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: Wm S Orr & Co.,, 1849 A good copy of the 2nd Edition in 2 volumes, in contemporary half leather bindings with 124 hand coloured plates by H Noel Humphreys. The bindings are half morocco leather with marbled boards. The spines have raised bands with gilt compartments and gilt titles. All page edges gilt. The bindings are sound, but with a lot of scuffing, particularly to the marbling, and wear - most obvious to the corners. Vol I has an armorial bookplate to the front pastedown with the initials GTL and a bookplate of Sir Arthur Clay to the fep. There is a small round stamp of Hendon Public Libraries to the title pages of both volumes and both have a library marking to the verso of the title. Both volumes are complete: Vol I: title page; plate list; preface; text with errata and corrigenda, index and alphabetical list 258pp with 56 plates. Vol II: title page; plate list; text with addenda and corrigenda and alphabetical list 268pp with 68 plates. Hendon Libraries have been relatively modest in their stamping: each plate has a small (1 cm) stamp to the back, and there is a round stamp in the bottom margin of every 50th text page and at the end. Contents are generally clean with the odd mark or spot and the plates are in very good condition overall. The odd page corner has been turned over at some point. Vol I has splitting at the front endpaper joint, but the book is currently sound, and the initial pages have slightly crinkled side edges. There are a couple of scuffed areas to the text pp (at 137 and 171) with the loss of a couple of letters. There is a small repaired margin tear at p133. Vol II has a brown ink mark extending from the top page edge into the first text para at p 143.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- E C Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- British Moths and their Transformations
- H N Humphreys and J O Westwood
- H N Humphreys
- Book condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- 2nd Edition
- Wm S Orr & Co.,
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- lepidoptera; victorian natural history; moths; h noel humphreys; j o westwood; entomology
- Bookseller catalogs
- NATURAL HISTORY; Entomology/Insects;
- 4to - over 9¾ - 12
Terms of Sale
E C Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2011
Ask Seller a Question
About E C Books
E C Books is a small online bookselling business, specialising in pre 20th century works:natural history, science, history, and travel, aiming for rarer and more unusual books. Our largest stock area is Natural History, where we have a good range of books from the 1700-1800's, many finely illustrated. Other areas include children's books, particularly late 1800's-early 1900's - again illustrated; and literature pre 1900.When you order books from us we ensure that they are properly packed to protect condition, and we always use recorded or 'signed for' postal services for more secure delivery. Please note that we have recently moved to the beautiful Orkney Islands, where we intend to open a bookshop over the next year. Because of our location we cannot guarantee 'next day' delivery but we will get your purchase to you as quickly and safely as we can.Please note that the buyer is responsible for the payment of any tax or duty on import.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- Marbled boards
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being...[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]