Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London : J Johnson , 1806 A very good copy of Vol III of this scarce work by William Holloway, in full leather binding with contemporary blind stamped boards and newer spine. The British Museum .. was issued in 4 volumes and this volume is complete in itself, and covers fish and insects. It contains a colour frontispiece and 22 further hand coloured plates of fish, and 10 hand coloured plates of insects. It lacks the engraved title page and, according to the copy held by Harvard University, lacks the plate of a swallow tail. We have not been able to find consistent collations of this work. The binding is in very good clean condition with light wear and scuffing to the boards. There is an armorial bookplate with the name Haughton and the motto 'maigre le fort' to the front pastedown. There is the signature of James Haughton dated 1810 to the title, together with a part signature - Heard - dated 1884. Contents: frontispiece, title, contents list pp vi; fish - text 1-143 with 22 plates; insects pp 145-216 (the end) with 10 plates. The contents generally clean with well coloured plates. There is occasional light marking - most obvious at pp 39-41.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- E C Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The British Museum; or elegant repository of Natural History Vol III Fishes & Insects
- William Holloway
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- 1st Edition
- J Johnson
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- fish; marine life; entomology; insects; early nineteenth century natural history; william holloway; james haughton 1810
- Bookseller catalogs
- NATURAL HISTORY; Freshwater and Marine Life, including fish and fishing; Entomology/Insects;
- 24mo - over 5 - 5¾" tall
Terms of Sale
E C Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2011
Ask Seller a Question
About E C Books
E C Books is a small online bookselling business, specialising in pre 20th century works:natural history, science, history, and travel, aiming for rarer and more unusual books. Our largest stock area is Natural History, where we have a good range of books from the 1700-1800's, many finely illustrated. Other areas include children's books, particularly late 1800's-early 1900's - again illustrated; and literature pre 1900.When you order books from us we ensure that they are properly packed to protect condition, and we always use recorded or 'signed for' postal services for more secure delivery. Please note that we have recently moved to the beautiful Orkney Islands, where we intend to open a bookshop over the next year. Because of our location we cannot guarantee 'next day' delivery but we will get your purchase to you as quickly and safely as we can.Please note that the buyer is responsible for the payment of any tax or duty on import.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...[more]
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The heel of the spine.