British Phaenogamous Botany: or, Figures and Descriptions of the Genera of British Flowering Plants
by William Baxter
- very good
- Very Good/None
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Complete with 509 hand-coloured copperplates engraved by Charles Mathews after botanical illustrations by Mathews, Isaac Russel (an Oxford glass painter) and William Alfred Delamotte. The plates were reputedly hand-coloured by Baxter's daughters and daughter-in-law.
George Claridge Druce in The Flora of Berkshire, 1897, writes, "The plates of this work, although of unequal merit, are in many cases very excellent and possess a special value, because each figure is drawn from an individual plant, the locality or origin of which is usually stated."
First issued in parts from 1832, and later in book form from 1834. This set states Second Edition, 1834, on the title page of Vol. I, but all other volumes are 1st edition: Vol. II 1835, Vol. III 1837, Vol. IV 1839, Vol. V 1840, and Vol. VI 1843.
Six volumes bound in 3.
William Baxter (1787-1871), was a British botanist, author, curator and head gardener of the Oxford Botanic Garden from 1813 to 1851.
In three-quarter green leather, gilt spines with five raised bands, cloth boards, marble endpapers, bookplates of A.E.B. Parsons, hinges cracking, but interior mostly clean and bright, plates with delicate hand colour, some pages lightly toned and slightly foxed.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- British Phaenogamous Botany
- William Baxter
- Charles Mathews, Isaac Russell, William Alfred Delamotte
- Three-quarter leather, cloth boards
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- 1st and 2nd
- Whittaker, Treacher and Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Octavo, 22 x 14cm
- engraving, British Phaenogamous Botany, William Baxter, flora, botanical illustration, Isaac Russell, Charles Mathews, English flora, copperplate engraving, flora, flower, art, science
- Bookseller catalogs
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Foxing is the age related browning, or brown-yellowish spots, that can occur to book paper over time. When this aging process...