Buenos-Ayres, in een gedeelte zijner Plaatselijke Betrekkingen en Omwentelings-Geschiedenis, opgehelderd door eene Reis in de Binnenlanden van Rio de la Plata, naar het Engelsch ... Met eenige andere daartoe betrekkelijke stukken.
by GILLESPIE, Alexander
- See description
New York, New York, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Amsterdam, Bij de Wed. G.A. Diederichs & Zoon, 1820.. First and Only Edition in Dutch. Large 8°, contemporary speckled wrappers (front wrapper detached), printed spine label (somewhat defective). Scattered minor spotting. Uncut and mostly unopened. In good to very good condition. iv, 154 pp., (2 ll. advertisement). *** First and only edition in Dutch of Gleanings and remarks: collected during many months of residence at Buenos Ayres, and within the upper country; with a prefatory account of the expedition from England, until the surrender of the colony of the Cape of Good Hope, under the joint command of Sir D. Baird and Sir Home Popham, originally published in Leeds, 1818. It contains a description of Rio de la Plata and Buenos Aires, with accounts of Montevideo, the Banda Oriental, and Chile at the end.In 1806 Sir Henry Popham (without Admiralty approval) sailed a fleet to Buenos Aires and captured it with ease, aided by General William Beresford and 1,400 soldiers. Led by a French officer (the Spanish were at the time allied to Napoleon's regime), the Creole inhabitants forced the British to surrender. Gillespie, a major in the Royal Marines, was one of those captured; in this work he recounts his experiences as a prisoner of war in Buenos Aires and the interior.*** Medina, Rio de la Plata p. 274. Palau 102235: without collation, citing only a copy offered by Maggs Bros., London, 1935 for £2/5. This edition not in Sabin; cf. 27391 for the original Leeds, 1818 edition and 27392 for an undated German edition. The English original of 1818 is also mentioned by Humphreys, Latin American History: a Guide to the Literature in English 705A; Rich II, 103 (#52); Naylor 32; McNeil and Deas, Europeans in Latin America nº 22. Not located in Jisc. Not located in NUC.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Richard C. Ramer Old & Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Buenos-Ayres, in een gedeelte zijner Plaatselijke Betrekkingen en Omwentelings-Geschiedenis, opgehelderd door eene Reis in de Binnenlanden van Rio de la Plata, naar het Engelsch ... Met eenige andere daartoe betrekkelijke stukken.
- GILLESPIE, Alexander
- Book Condition
- First and Only Edition in Dutch
- Amsterdam, Bij de Wed. G.A. Diederichs & Zoon, 1820.
- Rio de la Plata, Buenos Aires, Argentina, Latin America, Montevideo, Uruguay, Banda Oriental, Travels, Prisoners of war, Marines, Dutch, Cape of Good Hope, Chile, Sir Henry Popham, South America, Americas
Terms of Sale
Richard C. Ramer Old & Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio member since 2012
New York, New York
Ask Seller a Question
About Richard C. Ramer Old & Rare Books
We have been in business since 1969. We work from private premises, both in New York and in Lisbon, Portugal, and admit visitors by appointment. Online lists are issued regularly.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...
- Spine Label
- The paper or leather descriptive tag attached to the spine of the book, most commonly providing the title and author of the...
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional...