Catalogue des Livres Illustres par Daragnes (Signed by Daragnes) 1924 Woodcuts
by Pierre Mac Orlan (Preface)
- very good
- Very Good
Frederick, Maryland, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Extended Description and Notes
Privately Printed, 1924. Softcover. Very Good. Original exhibition catalog issued on the occasion of an exhibition of books containing illustrations by celebrated French painter, engraver, publisher and illustrator Jean-Gabriel Daragnes - specifically, woodcuts. Illustrated with an original portrait etching of Daragnes by Andre Dunoyer de Segonzac, 11 black-and-white Daragnes plates, three depicting lesbian scenes, and an original Daragnes hand-colored engraving laid in showing a husband walking in on his wife in bed with her lover - a scene from Fielding's Tom Jones. Signed and inscribed on front free endpaper thus: "Pour Madame Legat | Ce registre d'etat und des infants | qu'un pere demature confie a | l'assistance publingier | le pere indigne | Daragnes." Translation: "For Mrs. Legat: This register of state and children that a father has entrusted with the assistant publisher. The unworthy father, Daragnes." Also signed and inscribed on front free endpaper by an unknown signatory (possibly Segonzac) thus: "A Madame Suzanne Legat, | en hommage et affection | [illegible]." Translation: To Mrs. Suzanne Legat, in tribute and affection, [illegible]." Bound in wrappers with original glassine dust jacket. Edges untrimmed. 47 pp. 9 3/4" x 7 5/8". Tight, unmarked copy with light shelf wear and small area of loss to tail of spine panel. Photographs of or additional information about this item are available on request. All inquiries answered promptly.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Midnight Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Catalogue des Livres Illustres par Daragnes (Signed by Daragnes) 1924 Woodcuts
- Pierre Mac Orlan (Preface)
- Book Condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity Available
- Privately Printed
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
Orders securely packaged and shipped within 2 business days with USPS tracking number and delivery confirmation. All items guaranteed as described. Returns accepted within 30 days. PayPal preferred (but not required) if paying by credit card. Checks and money orders also accepted.
About the Seller
About Midnight Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The heel of the spine.
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has been...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- Shelf Wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...
- The paper covering on the outside of a paperback. Also see the entry for pictorial wraps, color illustrated coverings for...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.