Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: The Grolier Society, 1921. Bound in full limp leather bindings. Gilded spines and covers. All edges cased in gilding. Printed on thick paper. Columned text. Decorative border surrounding the text on each page. Heavily illustrated throughout. Volume one indicates on the gilded binding page that this set was has been printed and bound especially for... (left blank). Custom bound. 9 5/8 inches tall. Over 21 inches of shelf space. In good condition only, and consistent with that book grade, with a lot of shelf wear, please understand the wear before purchasing. Although these are full leather bindings, these are only limp leather bindings and so do not stand on their own very well, and need to be propped up, but these still display beautifully, and are an impressive collection. Full leather bindings were more expensive to produce and are highly desirable. There is a lot of chipping and abrasion. The hinges are all attached, although there is some starting and archival restoration. The leather is dusty and bleeds a bit, but is still intact. Gilded cloth end papers. No writing. Closed tears, internal dirt, pages very loose, and detached in some volumes. The final volume appears to be missing the first few pages. This is a nice antiquarian leather library set that displays beautifully. This set would make an excellent gift and/or addition to any fine library. In addition to their shelf presence, antiquarian books make an excellent investment. We always pack very securely to help ensure safe handling during transit. All books are individually wrapped and are always professionally padded. We offer a full refund guarantee, per our terms described on our site, with notification of such intent requested. Please contact us with any inquiries.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Merchants Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- THE CHILDREN'S ENCYCLOPEDIA, THE BOOK OF KNOWLEDGE. Leather Library Set. Complete in 20 volumes
- [ENCYCLOPEDIA.] [Mee, Arthur (Editor.)]
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- The Grolier Society
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Merchants Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2020
Ask Seller a Question
About Merchants Rare Books
Merchants Rare Books, established in 2003, buys and sells rare and antiquarian books, with an emphasis on first editions and fine antiquarian sets from the 17th - 19th centuries.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or...[more]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]