A Child's Garden Of Verses (First Edition, First Printing)
by Stevenson, Robert Louis
- Near Fine Book
Pasadena, California, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 5 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Rediscover the delight and innocence of childhood in these classic poems from celebrated Scottish author, Robert Louis Stevenson.From make-believe to climbing trees, bedtime stories to morning play and favorite cousins to beloved mothers.Here is a very special collection to be treasured for ever. First published in 1885, the first printing of A Child's Garden of Verses ran 1000 copies by Longhaus, Green and Co in London. This book was not illustrated until the 1896 edition, published 2 years after Stevenson's death. The collection contains about 65 poems, and many of the poems, including “The Land of Counterpane,” take a positive perspective on Stevenson's own childhood which was plagued by sickness. He dedicated the work to his nurse Alison Cunningham. Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, essayist, musician and travel writer. (13 November 1850 – 3 December 1894) Although he died at just forty four years old and suffered from ill health the majority of his life he managed to travel and write extensively in that short period. His most famous works are Treasure Island , Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde , Kidnapped, and A Child's Garden of Verses . Although Stevenson fell out of the canon for a number of years, today he is one of the most translated authors and is highly celebrated for his stories.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Arroyo Seco Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A Child's Garden Of Verses (First Edition, First Printing)
- Stevenson, Robert Louis
- Book Condition
- Used - Near Fine Book
- Quantity Available
- First Edition 1st Printing
- Longman's Green & Co
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 6 1/2" Tall
- Bookseller catalogs
- Poetry; Childrens Books 1851 -1900; Rare And Unusual Books;
Terms of Sale
Arroyo Seco Books
Payment by credit card, check, PayPal or, for orders over $1000, by bank transfer. US Shipping by USPS media mail, at standard rate shown, but large or heavy items may require additional postage. Shipments valued over $200 may be sent with insurance, and/or with signature confirmation required. International shipments sent only by insured USPS mail (Priority Mail or Priority Express Mail or Express Guaranteed). Shipments to the UK may require additional shipping charges to provide insurance as they lack a nationally insured postal system. Sales within California and many other states are subject to sales tax. International shipments may be subject to Customs duties or fees and/or VAT which are the responsibility of the buyer. Postage will not be refunded for unaccepted packages; please review your order for correct addressing.
About the Seller
Arroyo Seco Books
About Arroyo Seco Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Top Edge Gilt
- Top edge gilt refers to the practice of applying gold or a gold-like finish to the top of the text block (the edges the pages...
- Marbled Paper
- Decorative colored paper that imitates marble with a veined, mottled, or swirling pattern. Commonly used as the end papers or...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...