A Child's Garden of Verses
by Stevenson, Robert Louis
- Good. Tears and rubbing significant to spine. Comparatively minimal edge wear. Pages show "rumpling" with occasional s
Newport, New Hampshire
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Rediscover the delight and innocence of childhood in these classic poems from celebrated Scottish author, Robert Louis Stevenson.From make-believe to climbing trees, bedtime stories to morning play and favorite cousins to beloved mothers.Here is a very special collection to be treasured for ever. First published in 1885, the first printing of A Child's Garden of Verses ran 1000 copies by Longhaus, Green and Co in London. This book was not illustrated until the 1896 edition, published 2 years after Stevenson's death. The collection contains about 65 poems, and many of the poems, including “The Land of Counterpane,” take a positive perspective on Stevenson's own childhood which was plagued by sickness. He dedicated the work to his nurse Alison Cunningham. Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, essayist, musician and travel writer. (13 November 1850 – 3 December 1894) Although he died at just forty four years old and suffered from ill health the majority of his life he managed to travel and write extensively in that short period. His most famous works are Treasure Island , Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde , Kidnapped, and A Child's Garden of Verses . Although Stevenson fell out of the canon for a number of years, today he is one of the most translated authors and is highly celebrated for his stories.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Hedgehog's Whimsey Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- A Child's Garden of Verses
- Stevenson, Robert Louis
- Burd, C. M. (Color artwork by), and Brueggeman, Binnie (Pen&Ink B&W line drawings by.
- Book condition
- Used - Good. Tears and rubbing significant to spine. Comparatively minimal edge wear. Pages show "rumpling" with occasional s
- No. 2154.
- Saalfield Publishing.
- Place of Publication
- Akron OH / New York.
- Date Published
- C M Burd, artist|Brueggeman, artist|Lithography|Picture book|Marching Song|The Wind|Singing|Foreign Children|Block City|My Shadow|The Sun's Travels|Where Go the Boats?|The Flowers|Pirate Story|Land of Nod|The Land of Counterpane|The Cow
- Bookseller catalogs
- Poetry; Children's Picture-books;
Terms of Sale
Hedgehog's Whimsey Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. Return postage is not offered for returns considered discretionary. Please read the description of the item or book thoroughly before placing an order. A few photos specific to the book may be requested before ordering. Shipping is most economical by media mail, and quickest by U.S. Priority Mail. Occasionally a lightweight item will be upgraded to 1st Class Mail domestically as a courtesy. Heavy and / or large items to be shipped internationally often require additional postage, mutually agreed upon via biblio.com.
About the Seller
About Hedgehog's Whimsey Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.