China: A general description of that Empire and its inhabitants; with the history of foreign intercourse down to the events which produced the dissolution of 1857. A new edition, revised and enlarged.
by Davis, Sir John Francis
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
2 volumes. John Murray. London. 1857. Octavo. xx, 480pp.; vii, (1), 428pp. Text illus. Full contemporary calf, elaborately gilded to spine, in six compartments, leather labels in red and olive with gilt lettering. Double gilt border rules to boards, with floral stops, edge tooling in gilt. Marbled endpapers and marbled edges. Slight discolouration to area of upper board of Volume I. Minor shelf wear and rubbing to corners.
Bookplate stamp A.H.R. to ffep of each volume. Inscription to ffep of Volume I. "Arthur H. Robinson from his friend James Oswald on his leaving Eton Easter 1862" added note "James Oswald only son of O of Auchincruive Ayrshire d. Dec. 1865"
[James Oswald born on 31 May 1848. He was the son of Alexander Haldane Oswald of Auchincruive and Lady Louisa Elizabeth Frederica Craven. He died on 17 December 1865 at age 17.]
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- China: A general description of that Empire and its inhabitants; with the history of foreign intercourse down to the events which produced the dissolution of 1857. A new edition, revised and enlarged.
- Davis, Sir John Francis
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- John Murray.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Opium, Hong Kong, East India Company, Tea
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; The Middle East, India and Asia; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, but any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.