China: A general description of that Empire and its inhabitants; with the history of foreign intercourse down to the events which produced the dissolution of 1857.
by Davis, Sir John Francis
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
A new edition, revised and enlarged. John Murray. London. 1857. 2 volumes. Octavo. xx, 480pp.; vii, (1), 428pp. Text illus. Full contemporary calf, elaborately gilded to spine, in six compartments, leather labels in red and olive with gilt lettering. Double gilt border rules to boards, with floral stops, edge tooling in gilt. Marbled endpapers and marbled edges. Slight darkening to area of upper board of Volume I. Minor shelf wear.
Bookplate stamp A.H.R. to ffep of each volume. Inscribed dedication to ffep of Volume I. "Arthur H. Robinson from his friend James Oswald on his leaving Eton Easter 1862" added note "James Oswald only son of O of Auchincruive Ayrshire d. Dec. 1865"
Sir John Francis Davis (1795–1890) Author, translator, East India Company. British diplomat and sinologist who served as Governor of Hong Kong from 1844 to 1848. Davis was the founder and first President of the Royal Asiatic Society Hong Kong.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- China: A general description of that Empire and its inhabitants; with the history of foreign intercourse down to the events which produced the dissolution of 1857.
- Davis, Sir John Francis
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- John Murray
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- China, East India Company, Hong Kong, Royal Asiatic Society, Opium
- Bookseller catalogs
- Military History; The Middle East, India and Asia; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- When a book is described as being inscribed, it indicates that a short note written by the author or a previous owner has...[more]