A Collection of 5 early stereoviews of New Orleans: Algiers Dry Dock. (nr. 201); French Opera, Bourbon Street. (nr. 544); St. Louis Hotel, St. Louis Street. (Nr. 554); Mechanics Institute, Dryades Street. (nr. 536); University of Louisiana, Common Street. (nr. 512).
by [New Orleans] Blessing, S.T. (Photographer)
- In very good condition.
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 7 to 21 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
5 Albumen stereo photographs, each mounted on yellow coloured studio board with rounded corners, with photographer's imprint & series title, one card with title label mounted on verso. 'Views Around New Orleans'-series (New Orleans in Stereoscope) and 'Views of New Orleans and Vicinity'-series.
Rare stereoscopic views of New Orleans in exceptionally good condition by Samuel Tobias Blessing (1830-1897), photographer of daguerreotypes, ambrotypes, tintypes, and paper prints made using the wet plate collodion process. He appears to have worked as a photographer in Alabama and Texas before settling in New Orleans in 1854. After the Civil War, Blessing concentrated on selling cartes-de-visite's and stereocards, photographic equipment, frames, and art supplies. His four-story establishment on Canal Street was one of the largest photographic studios and supply houses in the south.All stereoviews in in beautiful condition, from a Dutch collection formed pre-1870. Cf.: M. Denton Smith & M.L. Tucker, Photography in New Orleans: The Early Years, 1840–1865. (Baton Rouge, 1982).
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Acanthus Antiquariaat (NL)
- Seller's Inventory #
- A Collection of 5 early stereoviews of New Orleans: Algiers Dry Dock. (nr. 201); French Opera, Bourbon Street. (nr. 544); St. Louis Hotel, St. Louis Street. (Nr. 554); Mechanics Institute, Dryades Street. (nr. 536); University of Louisiana, Common Street. (nr. 512).
- [New Orleans] Blessing, S.T. (Photographer)
- Book Condition
- Used - In very good condition.
- Quantity Available
- S.T. Blessing, 87 Canal St.
- Place of Publication
- New Orleans
- Date Published
- (ca. 1866-1869)
- Albumen image: ca. 16.5 x 7.5 cm
- Stereoviews, Albumen photographs
Terms of Sale
About the Seller
About Acanthus Antiquariaat
We carry a stock of rare & antiquarian books and prints, including subjects like travelling, natural history, science, photography, avantgarde, illustrated books, fine bindings, optical toys, popular prints & broadsides, ephemera, objects of curiosity, and many more… in short, everything that we find interesting, beautiful, remarkable, or simply weird.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.