Complete Set of 9 Volumes Domestic Sermons Of Father Gio Paolo Oliva 1689 to 1694
by Giovanni Paolo Oliva
- See description
Humboldt, Tennessee, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Original Rare Complete Set of 9 Volumes Printed from 1689 to 1694 -
*Domestic Sermons Of Father Gio Paolo Oliva Volume 1 through 9, printed in Venice MDCXCIII 1689 to 1694 in the Italian Language Said privately in the Roman houses of the Society of GIESV 'From Gio Paolo Oliva General Bracket - With Index and paragraph on each sermon. Very Rev. Giovanni Paolo Oliva, S.J. (4 October 1600 – 26 November 1681)
Condition: Very Good to Fine, Over 300 years old, White Paper Bound, 2 ridge strings, on heavy linen rag paper, library stamps on end papers of Dominican College and FG Horn, spine has library sticker, #4 has oily stain on top of spine not effecting text block, 4.5" x 6.75" tall with 310 pages each about 2600 pages total.
Sermoni Domestici Del Padre Gio Paolo Oliva In Venetia MDCXCIII Detti privatamente nelle Case Romane della Compagnia di GIESV' Da Gio Paolo Oliva Generale della staffa compagnia Parte Terza -
- Companion Part Three has Sermons XXV to XXXVI
Giovanni Paolo Oliva (4 October 1600 – 26 November 1681) was the eleventh Superior General of the Society of Jesus.
Oliva was born at Genoa in 1600, and in 1616 he entered the Society of Jesus. A famous pulpit orator, he was an Apostolic Preacher of the Palace under Popes Innocent X, Alexander VII, Clement IX, and Clement X. In 1661, during the disease of the Superior General Goschwin Nickel, the General Congregation XI elected him vicar-general with the right of succession. His chief aim was to remove all causes of dissension and of personal friction between his institute and other religious orders, towards which he showed himself most reverent and yielding. He extended and increased the missions, creating new ones outside of Europe, especially in Japan. His book of forty-odd sermons for Lent, and his work of six folio volumes, In Selecta Scripturae Loca Ethicae Commentationes, demonstrate his scholarship and piety. Remembering what had happened to Cardinal Francesco Sforza Pallavicino, Oliva printed one thousand of his letters, in order that they might not be printed by others and be misconstrued.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Franklin Bookstore (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Complete Set of 9 Volumes Domestic Sermons Of Father Gio Paolo Oliva 1689 to 1694
- Giovanni Paolo Oliva
- White Paper Bound
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 4.5" x 6.75"
- Gio Paolo Oliva Society of GIESV Giovanni Paolo Oliva
- Bookseller catalogs
- May be a multi-volume set and require additional postage.
Terms of Sale
The Franklin Bookstore
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
About The Franklin Bookstore
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Text Block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a book....
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"...