Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
The Complete Works of Robert Burns (1896, Full Leather) 12 Volumes - Rare Antique
The Gebbie Publishing Co. Limited, Philadelphia, 1896.
"Fifty copies only of this Carnegie Edition have been printed for sale, each of which will be numbered." This is copy number 36 of 50, with each volume noted and stamped with Gebbie's seal. The total set features 12 books, but there are 6 volumes with 2 parts per volume.
This truly is a beautiful bookset! Full brown leather, fine binding with 5 raised bands on the spine. Gilt tooling and finish on the front and rear covers, the spine, edges, textblock, and inner pastedown edges. Red satin endpapers have small wrinkles or waves. In addition to the red satin pastedowns and endpapers, each volume comes with a red ribbon marker and a few of them are frayed at the ends. There are some scratches and small dark marks on the covers as well as the first few and last pages. There is some scuffing on the corner edges and spine head and tails. The textblock features a heavy deckled, feathered finish to the foreedge and bottom. The spine head and tails are intact, but Volume III, Part II has a chip and Volume VI, Part I has a 1/4-inch chunk chipping off the top. The binding is tight and firm but the covers are slightly bowed, possibly due to the leather. There are great illustrations throughout that accompany the poems "illustrated with 60 etchings and woodcuts, maps, and facsimiles."
Overall, this set is in Very Good+ condition and is one beautiful and rare set - don't wait, add it to your book collection! Please see the photos on this item or feel free to send us any questions you might have. We've included photos but if you need more, please contact us. Please note: this item will require additional postage, ship insured, and require a signature upon delivery. Thank you for your interest in this item!
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Bronze Anthology LLC (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The Complete Works of Robert Burns
- Robert Burns
- Full Leather
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good+
- Quantity available
- The Gebbie Publishing Co. Limited
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Antique, Bookset, Robert Burns, Complete Works, Fine Binding, Leather, Poet, Poetry, Poems, Lyricist, Scottish, Romanticism, Rabbie Burns, Bard of Ayrshire, Ploughman Poet,
- Bookseller catalogs
- Booksets; Leather; Antique;
Terms of Sale
Bronze Anthology LLC
About the Seller
About Bronze Anthology LLC
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- fine binding
- An elaborate and decorative binding, example including a leather-bound book with gilt edges, raised blind...[more]