COMPLETE WORKS of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (with Enclosed Curio): OXFORD SHAKESPEARE
by William Shakespeare
- very good
- Very Good/N/A
West Vancouver, British Columbia
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
It needs some TLC; the spine has loosened a little and there are some marks on the covers to be removed.
The cover is dark red with a nice stamped design on the front and back. On the front cover, the word 'Shakespeare' appears in gold. On the spine, it says, in gold, 'The Works of Shakespeare'. There is a small ink mark on the cover. On the back cover, there are 4 small white dots that look almost like bleach. The pages have darkened. There is shelf wear to the spine, and at the top of the spine, there is a 1/4" tear.
On the inside front cover page, there is an inscription: 'To Bert, Wishing him many happy returns of the day. From John, 25/1/11'. There is a full-page black and white portrait of Shakespeare across from the title page.
Hidden under the paper covering the inside back cover was an envelope marked 'Derby 1957'. Inside that was a ticket to the Irish Hospitals' Sweepstakes. It was secreted there with some skill
At the time, sweepstakes were illegal in the UK and North America—US Customs seized and destroyed millions of these tickets.
So Bert gave this book to someone who used it to smuggle out this ticket. It's amusing to think of someone nervously clutching his Shakespeare while hoping to clear US Customs.
The book is perfectly readable and usable, and the curiosity at back makes it more interesting. Of course, you get the ticket when you buy the book.
Note: This book is sufficiently heavy that a second book cannot be included for the same shipping rate.Also, if you are OUTSIDE of North America, my quoted shipping price is for surface mail without tracking. For other shipping options, please contact me.
Its is Shakespeare in all its glory and such a beautiful volume. My fingers itch to reread Hamlet, Macbeth and every sonnet he ever wrote!
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- Vancouver Bookseller (CA)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- COMPLETE WORKS of WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE (with Enclosed Curio)
- William Shakespeare
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Jacket condition
- Quantity available
- Henry Frowde, Oxford University Press
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Shakespeare, Irish Hospitals Sweepstakes
- Bookseller catalogs
- Poetry; Rare; British Fiction; Ireland;
Terms of Sale
About the Seller
About Vancouver Bookseller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the... [More]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]