Descartes' Error : Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain
by Damasio, Antonio
- very good
Standard Delivery: 7 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Since Descartes famously proclaimed, "I think, therefore I am," science has often overlooked emotions as the source of a person’s true being. Even modern neuroscience has tended, until recently, to concentrate on the cognitive aspects of brain function, disregarding emotions. This attitude began to change with the publication of Descartes’ Error in 1995. Antonio Damasio—"one of the world’s leading neurologists" ( The New York Times )—challenged traditional ideas about the connection between emotions and rationality. In this wondrously engaging book, Damasio takes the reader on a journey of scientific discovery through a series of case studies, demonstrating what many of us have long suspected: emotions are not a luxury, they are essential to rational thinking and to normal social behavior.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- The Bookshelf (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Descartes' Error : Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain
- Damasio, Antonio
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity available
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Please return the item in the packaging received or equivalent packaging.
Please report any shipping damage or concerns with condition or content within seven days.
For greater detail on how problems are handled, see "Return Instructions."
Thank you for your interest.
About the Seller
About The Bookshelf
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- trade paperback
- Used to indicate any paperback book that is larger than a mass-market paperback and is often more similar in size to a hardcover...[more]
- text block
- Most simply the inside pages of a book. More precisely, the block of paper formed by the cut and stacked pages of a...[more]