East Of The Mountains - 1st Edition/1st Printing
by Guterson, David
- Fine+ in Fine+ dust jacket
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
Summerville, South Carolina
Standard Delivery: 5 to 14 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
It is mid-October, 1997, harvest time in the Columbia Basin of central Washington state, a rich apple- and pear-growing region. Ben Givens, recently widowed, is a retired heart surgeon, once admired for his steadiness of hand, his precision, his endurance. He has terminal colon cancer. While Ben does not readily accept defeat, he is determined to avoid suffering rather than engage it. And so, accompanied by his two hunting dogs, he sets out through the mythic American West-sage deserts, yawning canyons, dusty ranches, vast orchards-on his last hunt. The main issues for Ben as a doctor had been tactical and so it would be with his death. But he hadn't considered the persuasiveness of memory-the promise he made to his wife Rachel, the love of his life, during World War II. Or life's mystery. On his journey he meets a young couple who are "forever," a drifter offering left-handed advice that might lessen the pain, a veterinarian with a touch only a heart surgeon would recognize, a rancher bent on destruction, a migrant worker who tests Ben's ability to understand. And just when he thinks there is no turning back, nothing to lose that wasn't lost, his power of intervention is called upon and his very identity tested. Full of humanity, passion, and moral honesty, East of the Mountains is a bold and beautiful novel of personal discovery.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Books Tell You Why, Inc. (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- East Of The Mountains - 1st Edition/1st Printing
- Guterson, David
- Book condition
- Used - Fine+ in Fine+ dust jacket
- First Edition; First Printing; Signed by Author
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- Harcourt Brace & Company
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
- Collectible Rare Out-Of-Print, Values Family, Depression, Life Lessons, Fiction Psychological
- Bookseller catalogs
- Drama; Classic Fiction; Awarded Books / PEN/Faulkner Award; Science / Medicine;
Terms of Sale
Books Tell You Why, Inc.
Shipping after receipt of payment. S.C. residents agree that 7.5% Sales Tax will be added to their invoice. The whole purchase cost (incl. shipping & handling) will be refunded if listing is inaccurate or shipment is damaged. Returns need to be authorized prior to their shipment within 14 days of your receipt.
About the Seller
About Books Tell You Why, Inc.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...[more]
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]