EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS [A Novel]
by Guterson, David
- A fine copy in fine dust jacket
HACKETTSTOWN, New Jersey, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 4 to 10 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
It is mid-October, 1997, harvest time in the Columbia Basin of central Washington state, a rich apple- and pear-growing region. Ben Givens, recently widowed, is a retired heart surgeon, once admired for his steadiness of hand, his precision, his endurance. He has terminal colon cancer. While Ben does not readily accept defeat, he is determined to avoid suffering rather than engage it. And so, accompanied by his two hunting dogs, he sets out through the mythic American West-sage deserts, yawning canyons, dusty ranches, vast orchards-on his last hunt. The main issues for Ben as a doctor had been tactical and so it would be with his death. But he hadn't considered the persuasiveness of memory-the promise he made to his wife Rachel, the love of his life, during World War II. Or life's mystery. On his journey he meets a young couple who are "forever," a drifter offering left-handed advice that might lessen the pain, a veterinarian with a touch only a heart surgeon would recognize, a rancher bent on destruction, a migrant worker who tests Ben's ability to understand. And just when he thinks there is no turning back, nothing to lose that wasn't lost, his power of intervention is called upon and his very identity tested. Full of humanity, passion, and moral honesty, East of the Mountains is a bold and beautiful novel of personal discovery.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Old Mill Bookshop (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- EAST OF THE MOUNTAINS [A Novel]
- Guterson, David
- Book Condition
- Used - A fine copy in fine dust jacket
- Quantity Available
- First English edition
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
The Old Mill Bookshop
About the Seller
The Old Mill Bookshop
About The Old Mill Bookshop
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...