English Fairy Tales
by (Rackham, Arthur) Steel, Flora Annie, editor
- Original green cloth decorated in black. Fine in slightly chipped dust jacket
HACKETTSTOWN, New Jersey, United States
Bibliophiles Club Membership
Standard delivery: 4 to 10 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
From the book:Who says that English folk have no fairy-tales of their own? The present volume contains only a selection out of some 140, of which I have found traces in this country. It is probable that many more exist. A quarter of the tales in this volume, have been collected during the last ten years or so, and some of them have not been hitherto published. Up to 1870 it was equally said of France and of Italy, that they possessed no folk-tales. Yet, within fifteen years from that date, over 1000 tales had been collected in each country. I am hoping that the present volume may lead to equal activity in this country, and would earnestly beg any reader of this book who knows of similar tales, to communicate them, written down as they are told, to me, care of Mr. Nutt. The only reason, I imagine, why such tales have not hitherto been brought to light, is the lamentable gap between the governing and recording classes and the dumb working classes of this country - dumb to others but eloquent among themselves. It would be no unpatriotic task to help to bridge over this gulf, by giving a common fund of nursery literature to all classes of the English people, and, in any case, it can do no harm to add to the innocent gaiety of the nation.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- The Old Mill Bookshop (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- English Fairy Tales
- (Rackham, Arthur) Steel, Flora Annie, editor
- Frontispiece and 3 full page color plates, numerous black and white illustrations throughout the text by Arthur Rackham. 1 vols.
- Book Condition
- Used - Original green cloth decorated in black. Fine in slightly chipped dust jacket
- Quantity Available
- Ninth printing
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- British | Children's Books
Terms of Sale
The Old Mill Bookshop
About the Seller
The Old Mill Bookshop
About The Old Mill Bookshop
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...