The Epistle of Gildas, the Most Ancient British Author: Who Flourished in the Yeere of our Lord, 546. ..
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Nicely bound in full brown morocco, spine in six compartments, tooled in blind and with the title in gilt; boards intricately tooled in blind. Marbled endpapers. Title page, frontispiece and preliminary blank remargined (no loss). Some contemporary names and notes mostly on the beginning and ending blanks. A fine copy.
Gildas provides some of the earliest commentary on the war effort associated with King Arthur. The first edition of the original Latin was pubished as Opus de Calimitate, Excidio et Conquestu Britanniae in 1525.
STC 11895. Potthast, I, 525. Sarton I, 455. Lowndes, p. 790. ESTC S103163.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Thorn Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Epistle of Gildas, the Most Ancient British Author: Who Flourished in the Yeere of our Lord, 546. ..
- Book Condition
- Used - Fine
- Quantity Available
- First edition in English
- T. Cotes for William Cooke
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
All books returnable for any reason within seven days, providing only that they are received in the same condition as shipped. Shipments to an Arizona address must add appropriate sales tax. Libraries billed.
About the Seller
About Thorn Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback. Also...
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...