AN ESSAY ON REGIMEN. Together with Five Discourses, Medical, Moral, and Philosophical: Serving to Illustrate the Principles and Theory of Philosophical Medicin [sic], and Point Out some if its Moral Consequences
by Cheyne, George
- Good+ binding
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
London: C. Rivington and J. Leake, 1740. Full Leather. Good+ binding. Octavo. , xvi, iv, , lxviii, , 51, , 53-89, , 91-117, , 119-191, , 193-344 pp. First Edition. Contemporary boards, with a new spine in notably lighter colored calf with amateurish black leather spine label; new laid paper endpapers at the time the volume was rebacked; early armorial bookplate of Dr. Charles Rooke, F.G.S. is tipped in to the hinge of the new endpaper--one might speculate it was removed at the time of the repair. While this present title was perhaps the least successful of Cheyne's writings according to Anita Guerrini in her entry for the DNB, it nevertheless "give[s] the fullest exposition of his mature thought. The Essay on Regimen consisted of six essays on natural philosophy in which Cheyne explained the interrelationship of mind and body, matter and spirit, employing Newton's theory of the ether as well as his principle of analogy. He reiterated that Newtonian natural philosophy, and particularly the theory of the ether, demonstrated a platonic continuum between matter and spirit which linked mechanism to mysticism." One wonders why it didn't have a broader appeal. DNB; ESTC T78855.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- Michael Pyron, Bookseller, ABAA (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- AN ESSAY ON REGIMEN. Together with Five Discourses, Medical, Moral, and Philosophical: Serving to Illustrate the Principles and Theory of Philosophical Medicin [sic], and Point Out some if its Moral Consequences
- Cheyne, George
- Full Leather
- Book condition
- Used - Good+ binding
- Quantity available
- C. Rivington and J. Leake
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Science & Medicine|Rare Book Room
- Bookseller catalogs
- Rare Book Room;
Terms of Sale
Michael Pyron, Bookseller, ABAA
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2011
Ask Seller a Question
About Michael Pyron, Bookseller, ABAA
Booksellers for more than 15 years, offering a general stock with an emphasis in Special Press, Art and Photography, Literature and Americana. We prided in our high level of customer service—if you aren't satisfied with either the book or the service you've received let us know about it so we can make you happy. Additionally, we offer a wide range of bookbinding and book repair services. Check us out atfacebook.com/michaelpyronbookbinder.Given the nuances in book repair and binding, I can offer a close estimate based on images of your book, but will need to have book in hand in order give you a firm estimate. And as always, we buy books!
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The portion of the book closest to the spine that allows the book to be opened and closed.
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- tipped in
- Tipped In is used to describe something which has been glued into a book. Tipped-in items can include photos, book plates,... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Highly sought after by some collectors, a book plate is an inscribed or decorative device that identifies the owner, or former... [More]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [More]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,... [More]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat... [More]