Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
EXAMEN DAS IST ERORTERUNG
By Martin Chemnitz
In German language
Rare first edition of Lutheran theology printed between 1566 and 1573. The work had ten more editions until the end of the century, and numerous reprints later, the last, dating from 1861. This edition was printed in Frankfurt in 1576. If Martin Luther is considered the greatest theologian of the Lutheran Church, then Martin Chemnitz is without a doubt our second greatest Lutheran Father. Chemnitz is certainly deserving of the title "the Second Martin", and was the primary bulwark of orthodox Lutheran theology in the latter part of the sixteenth century.
Text printed in two columns. Title printed in red and black with a woodcut vignette by Jost Ammann (repeated twice) and with the printer's device on the title-page of Part II.
Frankfurt, Georg Rab, 1576.
Pp.: (I:) (12, including one blank), 172, (6) leaves; (II:) (6), 220, (8) leaves; (III:) (8), 176, (8) leaves; (IV:) (12), 130, (8) leaves
Binding: Contemporary leather binding with blindstamped panels, five raised bands, clamps missing, sticker on the spine cover, signs of wear on the panels and along the edges, some parts damaged and stained, hinges slightly loose.
Condition: Marker inscription on the flyleaf.Ink inscription in Latin by the previous owner on the back of the flyleaf. Title page slightly torn and stained. Cracked gutter. A few contemporary marginal annotations and underlining, otherwise a superb and genuine copy.
For condition and details see the scans. For any additional questions feel free to contact us, we are eager to respond to all of your questions!
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Sigedon LTD (SC)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- Examen Martin Chemnitz Erörterung 1756 Lutheranism Theology Catholic
- Martin Chemnitz
- Contemporary leather binding with blindstamped panels, five raised bands, clamps missing, sticker on the spine cover, signs of w
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good
- Quantity available
- Georg Rab
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Lutheranism. Chemnitz, Theology, Examen
Terms of Sale
All packages are sent via registered airmail. All the purchases are tracked.
Estimated time of delivery:
- Europe and Russia: 4 - 15 working days
- US and Canada: 10 - 25 working days
- Rest of the world: 10 - 30 working days
Buyers are entitled to a partial refund in case items arrive damaged.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of arrival or 90 days from the sale, whichever is greater.
About the Seller
About Sigedon LTD
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- raised band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created...[more]
- The inside margin of a book, connecting the pages to the joints near the binding.
- Especially for older books, a printer's device refers to an identifying mark, also sometimes called a printer's mark, on the...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- In reference to a hinge or a book's binding, means that the glue which holds the opposing leaves has allowed them to separate,...[more]
- A decorative design or illustration placed at the beginning or end of a ...[more]