Exploration of Mount Kina Balu, North Borneo
by Whitehead, John
- See description
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Whitehead, John "EXPLORATION of MOUNT KINA BALU, North Borneo". London, Gurney and Jackson, 1893 PRESENTATION COPY to "Lionel Upton from John Whitehead 18-7-93". First edition. Folio (360 x 265). 32 Lithographed plates. 11 hand-colored 21 tinted. 21 woodcut illustrations. Text is clean and tight save for some spotting in the first few pages. The plates are in pristine condition. Original pictorial cloth gilt is bright and in very good condition. Top edge gilt. The bottom board has some slight discoloration and the cloth in one corner is slightly wrinkled. Overall condition is VG-Fine.
"Narrative of the author's travels in Borneo, Java, Palawan and Balabac Islands. His three efforts (the last one successful) to ascend Mt. Kina Balu. The greater part of the work comprises detailed observations on the natural history, especially ornithology, of the regions visited". (Zimmerman p. 673). Anker 528, Wood p. 626.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Rachel Smith Books (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Exploration of Mount Kina Balu, North Borneo
- Whitehead, John
- Original pictorial gilt cloth
- Book condition
- Gurney and Jackson
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Kina Balu, Borneo, Mountaineering, ornithology,Java, Balabac, Palawan
- Bookseller catalogs
- travel, exploration, polar, misc; Mountaineering,; Ornithology;
- 360 x 265mm
Terms of Sale
Rachel Smith Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- top edge gilt
- Top edge gilt refers to the practice of applying gold or a gold-like finish to the top of the text block (the edges the pages... [More]
- Used to mean that the binding of a book has not been overly loosened by frequent use.
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description. Further,... [More]
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]