The Flora of Essex; or list of flowering plants and ferns found in the County of Essex; with the localities of the less common species ascertained by recent observation and reference to former authors, and illustrated with four coloured plates of the plants peculiar to the County
by Gibson, George Stacey F.L.S
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. William Pamplin. London. 1862. Octavo. l, 469pp. Four hand coloured plates, crisp and bright. Map, split to folds and incomplete, in tape repaired pocket to fep. Original green embossed cloth, gilt to spine. Ink splash to upper board, foredge and lower edge. Faded to spine, a well used copy with some neat annotation and underlining by its previous owners:
Ownership ink stamp Ex Libris F. Townsend to half title upper margin.
Signature of Robert Paulson to ffep.
Robert Paulson (1857-1935) F.L.S. Mycologist, lichenologist, botanist. President of the Essex Field Club. Fellow of the Royal Microscopical Society. British Mycological Society. Contributed to lichenology collections from Mount Everest and Spitzbergen. Contributer to Essex Nat.; Proceedings of the Linnean Society; Lichenology of the British Isles; the Lichenologist. Herbarium at British Museum Natural History.
One of a number of floras currently being catalogued, originating from the private library of Quentin Oliver Newton Kay (1939-2017)
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- The Flora of Essex; or list of flowering plants and ferns found in the County of Essex; with the localities of the less common species ascertained by recent observation and reference to former authors, and illustrated with four coloured plates of the plants peculiar to the County
- Gibson, George Stacey F.L.S
- Book Condition
- Quantity Available
- William Pamplin.
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- 0.00 lbs
- Flora, Essex, Botany
- Bookseller catalogs
- Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Botany;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged, when reported promptly upon receipt. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature may be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost.
Regrettably, customers may find that there may be delays in delivery due to the current situation. We regret that we cannot be responsible for taxes or duties imposed in the customer's country.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...
- A common abbreviation for Front Free End Paper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- Half Title
- The blank front page which appears just prior to the title page, and typically contains only the title of the book, although, at...
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...