A free discussion of the doctrines of Materialism, and Philosophical Necessity, in a Correspondence between Dr. Price and Dr. Priestley. To which are added, by Dr. Priestley, an introduction, explaining the Nature of the Controversy...
by Priestley, Dr [Joseph] & Price, Dr [Richard]
- See item description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. J. Johnson & T. Cadell. 1778. Octavo. (6), xliv, (1), 428pp. Later half calf, marbled boards. Spine in six compartments, with leather labels and gilt and blind embellishment. New endpapers. Edges a little darkened to the introduction. Short closed tar to xvii, small corner loss to xix. A crisp and bright copy. Lengthy and handsomely hand-written note to ffep, presented by the Revd. J. Cockin, May 1839.
Joseph Priestley (1733-1804) British Enlightenment polymath. Scientist, theologian, philosopher he was the first to identify oxygen and other core gases. He invented soda water. In 1794 he emigrated to Pennsylvania where was befriended by Thomas Jefferson as 'one of the few lives precious to mankind'. His achievements have only recently begun to be acknowledged. His metaphysical works influenced Jeremy Bentham, John Stuart Mill, and Herbert Spencer. Priestley saw matter as the manifestation of spiritual force.
Price, Richard (1723–1791) FRS, philosopher, demographer, and political radical. Richard Price was the son of Rhys Price, a dissenting minister, and Catherine Richards. Born at Tyn Ton, Llangeinor, Glamorgan, Wales, Richard studied under Vavasor Griffiths at Chancefield, Talgarth. His writings in defence of the American patriots led to an invitation to advise congress conveyed to him by Benjamin Franklin, Arthur Lee, and John Adams. A friend of Thomas Paine, Thomas Jefferson, Adam Smith, David Hume, A member of the intellectual societies the Bowood Group and Benjamin Franklin's 'Club of Honest Whigs'. In 1772 Price recruited Joseph Priestley to the Bowood Group. It was through her friendship with Price that then unpublished Mary Wollstonecraft met the radical publisher Joseph Johnson. Price helped her to visit Lisbon to see Fanny Blood. She published 'A Vindication on the rights of men' in response to Burke's attack on Price, and her 'Vindication on the rights of woman' extended Price's arguments on equality for women.
Rev. JOSEPH COCKIN (1755-1828). Author and non-conformist minister. "He was a fearless, zealous, able, and devoted minister. He preached annually at some of the large chapels in London, where his ministry was very acceptable and useful. He also preached before the London Missionary Society in 1798, and was largely occupied in public services in his own county."
Cockin published and wrote the introduction to John Locke's Letter concerning Toleration. Huddersfield. 1796.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A free discussion of the doctrines of Materialism, and Philosophical Necessity, in a Correspondence between Dr. Price and Dr. Priestley. To which are added, by Dr. Priestley, an introduction, explaining the Nature of the Controversy...
- Priestley, Dr [Joseph] & Price, Dr [Richard]
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- J. Johnson & T. Cadell.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Materialism, Cockin, Locke, Philosophy, Theology, Paine, Franklin, Jefferson
- Bookseller catalogs
- Welsh; Philosophy and Theology; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Christmas gift ideas; Fine Bindings;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Marbled boards
- A common abbreviation for Front Free EndPaper. Generally, it is the first page of a book and is part of a single sheet that...[more]
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- A non-traditional book condition description that generally refers to a book in readable condition, although no standard exists...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
This Book’s Categories
- Bindings & Editions Leather
- Bindings & Editions Fine Bindings
- Countries & Cultures Europe Great Britain United Kingdom
- History Western History European History Western European History British History
- Languages & Language Languages Welsh
- Hobbies & Crafts Collecting Book Collecting
- Antiquarian & Rare Collectible Books