A general view of the state of Portugal; containing a topographical description thereof. In which are included, an account of the physical and moral state of the kingdom; Together With Observations on The Animal, Vegetable, And Mineral Productions of Its Colonies. The whole compiled from the best Portuguese writers, and from notices obtained in the country. Illustrated with plates
by Murphy, James Cavanah
- See description
Hay on Wye, Herefordshire
Standard Delivery: 8 to 25 days
More Shipping Options
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
First edition. Quarto. Printed for T. Cadell jun. and W. Davies, In The Strand. London. 1798. xi,  errata, 272p., 15 engraved plates. Folding engraved map of Portugal. Contemporary half calf, marbled boards. Spine in six compartments with double gilt rules, red leather label and gilt lettering. Silk bookmark. Light shelf wear, a couple of nicks to spine, corners rubbed. Occcasional light spotting/offsetting. A handsome volume.
ESTC N1850. Four copies only recorded in the UK: BL, Cambridge University, Bodleian, and MPL Special Collections. One copy held by the National Library of Ireland. Not held at Trinity College Dublin. One copy held at the Houghton Library, Harvard. Not held at Stanford.
Murphy, James Cavanah. Blackrock, Co. Cork, Ireland 1760 – 1814
Born in Cork, and trained in the Dublin drawing schools, Sir James Chatterton first noticed Murphy's artistic skill. He became an architect, and attracted the attention of Hon. William Burton Conyngham under whose patronage Murphy was sent in 1788 to Portugal to record the Dominican church and monastery of Batalha. He afterwards undertook a long journey through Portugal and Spain, recorded in his splendid drawings. That visit resulted in the publication of 'Plans, elevations, sections and views of the church of Batalha…To which is prefixed an introductory discourse on the principles of Gothic architecture' (1795), Travels in Portugal (1795), and this rarer publication, 'A General View of the State of Portugal' (1798). An important record of Portugal immediately before the Napoleonic Wars.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- A general view of the state of Portugal; containing a topographical description thereof. In which are included, an account of the physical and moral state of the kingdom; Together With Observations on The Animal, Vegetable, And Mineral Productions of Its Colonies. The whole compiled from the best Portuguese writers, and from notices obtained in the country. Illustrated with plates
- Murphy, James Cavanah
- Murphy, James Cavanagh
- Contemporary half calf, marbled boards
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- First Edition
- Printed for T. Cadell jun. and W. Davies,
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Portugal, Illustrated books, bull fighting
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; Europe; Spain and Portugal;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Marbled boards
- Calf or calf hide is a common form of leather binding. Calf binding is naturally a light brown but there are ways to treat...[more]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....[more]
- The term quarto is used to describe a page or book size. A printed sheet is made with four pages of text on each side, and the...[more]
- Errata: aka Errata Slip A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- shelf wear
- Shelf wear (shelfwear) describes damage caused over time to a book by placing and removing a book from a shelf. This damage is...[more]