Go Tell It On The Mountain.
by Baldwin, James
- See description
Palm Beach, Florida
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Written over a span of ten years, Go Tell It on the Mountain is James Baldwin’s first completed novel. The story follows John Grimes, a bright teen living in Harlem in the 1930s, as he explores relationships with his family and his church. On a basic level, Go Tell It on the Mountain is a coming of age story, yet the novel gains complexity as the omniscient narrator interweaves John’s story with the stories of his mother, father, and aunt. In addition to the Grimes family, a main focus of the text is the function of the Christian Church in the lives of African-Americans, which Baldwin argues to be a source of moral hypocrisy and repression. And with a title like Go Tell It on the Mountain , it is no surprise that the novel contains has many biblical references throughout. The novel is generally accepted as semi-autobiographical. Like the protagonist, Baldwin grew up in Harlem. Neither had a relationship with their biological fathers and both resented their religious fanatic stepfathers. Also like John, Baldwin underwent a religious awakening as a young adult. Go Tell It on the Mountain is ranked 39th on Modern Library’s “100 Best” English-language novels of the 20th century and is also listed on TIME’s “100 Best Novels” (since 1923). In 1984, ABC produced a made-for-television movie based on the novel. -
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- Raptis Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- Go Tell It On The Mountain.
- Baldwin, James
- Book condition
- Franklin Library
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- first edition, Go Tell It on the Mountain Signed First Edition, james baldwin first edition
Terms of Sale
Raptis Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed.
About the Seller
About Raptis Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects, "new"... [More]
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a... [More]
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in... [More]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing... [More]