God's Little Acre
by Caldwell, Erskine
Gloucester City, New Jersey, United States
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
God's Little Acre by author Erskine Caldwell tells the story of a rural, proletariat family in South Carolina whose lives seemingly revolve around the pursuit of sex and money. A commentary on the plight of the working class sans union protection in the 1930s, the novel also explores themes on land and resource conservation. Due to the sexual imagery, Caldwell was sued for the dissemination of pornography, but ultimately prevailed in court. The case and decision is considered significant in the establishment of modern interpretations of first amendment rights and freedom of expression. Published in 1933 by The Viking Press in black cloth printed in orange and green, the simple pictoral jacket with a sunrise seems to imply a pastoral theme far removed from the actual book's contents. As was the custom for Viking Press at the time, a first has neither a statement of first edition, nor any mention of subsequent printings. It's not uncommon to find a copy in the sunny jacket for around $2,000-$4,000 with signed copies pushing the price up to around $5,000-$6,000.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Between the Covers- Rare Books, Inc. ABAA (US)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- God's Little Acre
- Caldwell, Erskine
- Book Condition
- Used - Fine
- Quantity Available
- THE FRanklin Library
- Place of Publication
- Franklin Center, Pennsylvania
- Date Published
Terms of Sale
Between the Covers- Rare Books, Inc. ABAA
All books are first editions unless otherwise noted. All books are returnable within ten days if returned in the same condition as sent. We accept VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DISCOVER, PAYPAL, checks and money orders. New Jersey residents please add 6.625% sales tax. All items guaranteed, all items subject to prior sale. Members ABAA, ILAB. Shipping is $4.50 for Media Mail, $10.00 for Priority Mail or UPS Ground. Tracking is provided for every order. Alternate shipping available by request. Shipping costs are based on books weighing 2.2 LB, or 1 KG. If your book order is heavy or oversized, we may contact you to let you know extra shipping is required.
About the Seller
About Between the Covers- Rare Books, Inc. ABAA
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Raised Band(s)
- Raised bands refer to the ridges that protrude slightly from the spine on leather bound books. The bands are created in the...
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...
- A book in fine condition exhibits no flaws. A fine condition book closely approaches As New condition, but may lack the...