Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Please, read the item description carefully
By Gebriel Sagrad Theodat
(The great journey in the country of Huron in America on the Georgian bay, at the confines of New France called Canada.) – In French language.
First edition of the main source on the first Recollet missionary mission in Canada in 1615- 29 based on the experiences of frater Gebriel Sagrad Theodat.
This book is the documentation of the rare non-Jesuit missions in America since the Recollect branch was part of the Franciscan order. Detailed descriptions on the voyage, landscapes, wildlife, plants, as well as the costumes, traditions, rituals, medicine, and songs of the Wyandot (Huron) people.
The first French-Huron dictionary was also written by Gabriel Sagard between the years 1623-24 during his stay at the Georgian bay (at the time called Mer Douce). The dictionary and the book are sold bound together in a later, renewed binding only by one seller for mere 40.000 $
Please note, there is no dictionary bound to this book, they are two separate issues (both printed first editions 1632.) The mission on whom Gabriel Sagard took part was prior to the start of any Jesuit mission. The "Grande Voyage" and the "Relations des Jesuites de la Nouvelle-France" (considered one of the primary sources on the Natives) were printed in the same year (first editions) but the Recollect Order's mission started before the Jesuit on this particular territories.
Please note, this is ONE OF THE THREE remaining copies in the whole world for sale. Worldcat finds 13 1st edition copies in museums or libraries.
Paris, Chez Denys Morhav, 1632.
Pp.:  + 380 + . Size: 17,5 x 11,6 cm.
Binding: Original vellum binding. Front and back panel show a few wormholes, a little stained, wormholes on the flyleaves.
Condition: Heavy wormholes affecting text and legibility, pages from Pp.: 375 to the end are in the worse condition. Some paper browning due to aging.
For condition and details see the scans. For any questions or if you want more scans of the item, feel free to send a message.
Please note: DHL shipping IS possible on demand.Otherwise shipping will be via Registrated Air Mail.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Sigedon LTD (SC)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- LE GRAND VOYAGE DU PAYS DES HURONS 1623 GABRIEL SAGARD
- Frater Gabriel Sagard Theodat
- Original vellum binding. Front and back panel show a few wormholes, a little stained, wormholes on the flyleaves.
- Book condition
- Used - Poor
- Quantity available
- Chez Denys Morhav
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- Hurons, Gabriel Sagard, Canada, Mission, Wyandot people
Terms of Sale
All packages are sent via registered airmail. All the purchases are tracked.
Estimated time of delivery:
- Europe and Russia: 4 - 15 working days
- US and Canada: 10 - 25 working days
- Rest of the world: 10 - 30 working days
Buyers are entitled to a partial refund in case items arrive damaged.
Returns are accepted within 30 days of arrival or 90 days from the sale, whichever is greater.
About the Seller
About Sigedon LTD
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Worldcat is a collaborative effort produced by OCLC (Online Computer Library Center) and supported and used by 72,000 libraries...[more]
- A new book is a book previously not circulated to a buyer. Although a new book is typically free of any faults or defects,...[more]
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...[more]