GREAT MEN AND FAMOUS WOMEN. Illustrated with plates. Near Folio. Leather Set. History. Complete in 8 volumes
by [HISTORY.] [Horne, Charles F. (Editor.)]
- See description
Ask Seller a Question
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: Selmar Hess, 1894. FIRST EDITION / FIRST PRINTING. A Series of Pen and Pencil Sketches; of the lives of more than 200 of the most prominent personages in History. Near FOLIO-SIZED at 11 7/8 inches tall. ILLUSTRATED with approximately 80 engraved full page plates. Plus hundreds of in-text illustrations. Bound in thick morocco leather bindings. Gilding to the front covers. All the edges are cased in gilt. 9 inches of shelf space. Complete 8 volume set. VERY GOOD Condition. Some light general external rubbing. Hinges fully attached, and very strong, some rubbing/abrasion. Internally these are extra reinforced by the publisher's. Very clean interior. About free of any trace of foxing, aside from the first few pages. Some minor thumbing else fine. No writing or signs of previous ownership. Tissues intact. This is the complete 8 volume set. These are large, heavy books, near folio sized. This is an impressive collection of engraved plates. Vol. I - II Soldiers and Sailors Vol. III - IV Statesmen and Sages Vol. V - VI Workmen and Heroes Vol. VII - VIII Artists and Author This set would make an excellent gift and/or addition to any fine library. In addition to their shelf presence, antiquarian books make an excellent investment. We always pack very securely to help ensure safe handling during transit. All books are individually wrapped and are always professionally padded. We offer a full refund guarantee, per our terms described on our site, with notification of such intent requested. Please contact us with any inquiries.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Merchants Rare Books (US)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- GREAT MEN AND FAMOUS WOMEN. Illustrated with plates. Near Folio. Leather Set. History. Complete in 8 volumes
- [HISTORY.] [Horne, Charles F. (Editor.)]
- Book condition
- Quantity available
- FIRST EDITION / FIRST PRINTING
- Selmar Hess
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date published
Terms of Sale
Merchants Rare Books
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since: 2020
Ask Seller a Question
About Merchants Rare Books
Merchants Rare Books, established in 2003, buys and sells rare and antiquarian books, with an emphasis on first editions and fine antiquarian sets from the 17th - 19th centuries.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...[more]
- Abrasion or wear to the surface. Usually used in reference to a book's boards or dust-jacket.
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
- First Edition
- In book collecting, the first edition is the earliest published form of a book. A book may have more than one first edition in...[more]
- A folio usually indicates a large book size of 15" in height or larger when used in the context of a book description....[more]
- Morocco is a style of leather book binding that is usually made with goatskin, as it is durable and easy to dye. (see also...[more]