GREAT VICTORIAN LIVES: AN ERA IN OBITUARIES.
by BRUNSKILL, IAN - General Editor - SANDERS, PROFESSOR ANDREW - Edited by:
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
PLYMOUTH., Devon, United Kingdom
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
It was during the Victorian era that the first obituaries appeared in The Times,documenting the lives of the great and the good.Nearly two centuries later our evaluation of many of these historical figures has changed,and deserves reassessment. Obituaries of some of the most significant and influential scientists,social reformers,composers, writers and politicians of the Victorian era - including Isambard Kingdom Brunel, Charles Dickens, William Gladstone, Karl Marx, Louis Pasteur, Christina Rosetti, Thomas Cook and Oscar Wilde - have been selected by Ian Brunskill,the Obituaries Editor of The Times. Professor Andrew Sanders has edited each obituary,with insightful commentary to reveal the subtexts and omissions of those early accounts.
Arranged according to the date of their death - beginning with Thomas Arnold and finishing with Sarah Bernhardt - many are illustrated with rare pictures,these great lives offer a fascinating analysis of one of the most interesting eras in history,examining the society,people,values,and,indirectly,the legacy of the men and women who lived through,and influenced,the Victorian world.
Please contact seller,because of the heavier weight of this item,for correct shipping/P+p quotes - particularly ALL overseas customers - BEFORE ordering through the order page! ** N.B. ALL buyers please note,stocks' actual shipping/P+p costs are adjusted and any difference is refunded,after order's receipt and before the order's despatch,especially if the item(s) are offered either P+p included/FREE.
** This item offered P+p included.Offer available UK only,unless indicated otherwise. **
** N.B. US/Canada customers please be aware: Standard AIRMAIL postage from UK to these destinations can now cost more than the price of the book! If speed is not of the essence,then Economy rate is recommended - at approx. anything from a 1/3rd to 1/2 of the standard AIR quote/rate - sometimes arriving sooner than the 42 days - but not always.
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY. (GB)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- GREAT VICTORIAN LIVES: AN ERA IN OBITUARIES.
- BRUNSKILL, IAN - General Editor - SANDERS, PROFESSOR ANDREW - Edited by:
- illus with contemporary period b/w biographical portrait photographs.
- Book condition
- Used - FINE+.
- Jacket condition
- UK,thick 8vo HB+dw/dj,1st edn.
- ISBN 10
- ISBN 13
- LONDON.TIMES BOOKS/HarperCollinsPublishers,2007.
- Place of Publication
- This edition first published
- April 28, 2008
- q52.BIOGRAPHY.UK,thick 8vo HB+dw/dj,1st edn.ISBN 9780007259731.The Times_Obituaries.Victorian obituaries_scientists_social reformers_composers_writers_politicians.Victorian history_society_people_values_legacy_men and women.Thomas Arnold.Sarah bernhardt.C
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
NO books will be sent 'ON APPROVAL' unless paid for in full and invoiced accordingly and with appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.If returned/declined monies refundable (P+p and any processing fees excluded). Other returns/refunds, only if book(s) are misdescribed,and then a) matches the invoice sent with it, b) returned in original packaging and state/condition sent out in,and received by buyer, c) and returned at the seller's original and actual shipping/P+p cost used when despatched to buyer - any excess cost borne at returnee's own expense. Notification of intent of return, required within 2 days of receipt of book please. 30 day return guarantee, for refund, (excluding P+p costs and any processing fees), for up to 30 days after delivery, only if an item arrives either misdescribed or damaged.Other returns accepted at seller's discretion. Orders processed same day,subject to time of receipt of order and payment, by end of P.O's business day, where applicable, and despatched the same day (weekends excluded). Shipping/P+p costs are based on books weighing 2.2Lb,or 1KG and UNINSURED, unless quoted otherwise. If your book order (P+p cost included/excluded) is in excess of 20.00 GBP,heavy or oversized, as per instruction, we'll contact you to let you know if extra shipping/insurance is required.Prices are nett, worldwide shipping/handling and registration/ insurance fees are extra.Books/orders in excess of 20.00 GBP will only be sent with appropriate insurance fees. So,for actual insured/registered shipping costs, prior contact with the seller, BEFORE ordering, is required at: firstname.lastname@example.org. All orders are wrapped in sellophane, then either bubble-wrapped or corrugated-card and then boxed.[US+CANADA only.] Items/orders over 20.00 GBP are automatically sent registered/insured either via PARCEL FORCE [insured].Or, International SIGNED For [insured] AIRMAIL,minimum of 6.50 GBP,in addition to P+p and subject to book('s) weight.Books WILL NOT be sent without appropiate Registered/Recorded/Insurance,where applicable.We use the Royal Mail for inland (UK)and most overseas deliveries.For most other International destinations,for orders/books in excess of 20.00 GBP,we use Royal Mail International Registered/SIGNED For minimum of 6.50 GBP (100gm),in addition to postage and subject to book('s) weight.UK addresses, orders/ books in excess of 20.00 GBP, sent Next Day Guaranteed Delivery [Minimum Insured up to 250 GBP automatically - at no fee,extra insurance can be bought upto 1,000 GBP and Maximum 2,500 GBP - enquire for costs.], minimum of 5.90 GBP per order, again subject to weight. Cheques payable to R J A PAXTON-DENNY at business address.Ir requiring to pay by paypal contact seller for paypal account email.
About the Seller
About R. J. A. PAXTON-DENNY.
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A term often used to indicate a book's new-like condition. Indicates that the hinges are not loosened. A book described as crisp...
- Good describes the average used and worn book that has all pages or leaves present. Any defects must be noted. (as defined by AB...
- A strip of colored material attached to the text block at the top of the spine of a hard cover book. The same treatment applied...
- The collective of the top, fore and bottom edges of the text block of the book, being that part of the edges of the pages of a...
- Number Line
- A series of numbers appearing on the copyright page of a book, where the lowest number generally indicates the printing of that...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...