Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Lacks title page, first 24 pages of text, first two pages of Latin index, pages 49-64, 321-328 and 385~391.
With over 620 woodblock engravings of medical plants, herbs, fruits and vegetables in contemporary hand-colour. No text, but names of plants in Greek, Latin, French, Spanish, Italian and German at the top of the plate. Index in Latin (missing A to D, starts with Eruum), Italian, French, Spanish and German.
Perhaps a later pirate copy of Adam Lonicer's Herbarum, arborum, fruticum, frumentorum ac leguminum, Egenolph, Frankfurt, 1546. Lonicer (1528-1586) married printer Christian Egenolph's daughter and became a partner in the firm. From 1551, the firm published herbals under Lonicer's name.
Early editions had the plant names printed Latin in Roman and Italic type, and German in Schwabacher type. This copy has up to six plant names in Latin, German, French, Spanish, Italian and Greek.
Annotated with ink manuscript captions in English by 19th century owners, Miss Hannah Atkinson and Mavis Gibson c.1840.
Bound in full vellum, repaired with vellum at top and base of spine, red leather title label, spine sewn with vellum cord, interior with usual staining, foxing and age toning, but with good impressions of the woodcuts and vivid contemporary hand colour.
(Log in or Create an Account first!)
- Florilegius (JP)
- Bookseller's Inventory #
- Book Condition
- Used - Good
- Jacket Condition
- Quantity Available
- Place of Publication
- Date Published
- Quarto, 19.5 x 15cm
- german, herbal, 16th century, woodblock, woodcut, botanical art, handcoloured, medical botany
- Bookseller catalogs
Terms of Sale
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged.
About the Seller
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- Title Page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf....
- Full page illustration or photograph. Plates are printed separately from the text of the book, and bound in at production. I.e.,...
- Vellum is a sheet of specialty prepared skin of lamb, calf, or goat kid used for binding a book or for printing and writing. ...