A History of the Borgias (Modern Library #192.1)
by CORVO, Frederick Baron; [ROLFE, Frederick William]
- Very Good+ in Good+ dust jacket
Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
New York: The Modern Library / Random House. Very Good+ in Good+ dust jacket. [c.1957]. Hardcover. To say that Frederick William Rolfe (who wrote this pseudo-history under his famous nom de plume of Frederick Baron Corvo) was an eccentric would be to understate the turbulent life of the author. In this Modern Library reprint edition, he describes the excesses of the Italian Renaissance-era House of Borgia, and attempts to revive the reputation of Pope Alexander the Sixth, among other things. Includes an introduction by Shane Leslie. --- In Toledano spine 8 / red cloth / gilt titling on black spine & cover blocks / black topstain / grey Kent endpapers / jacket style i, verso lists 379 titles in ML catalog. Likely published c.1957 (though 1931 date appears in book). ML #192.1. --- A well-preserved copy: clean, tightly bound and unmarked, though with dulling to cover & spine gilding. Price-clipped dust jacket with a large open tear at head of spine, other small tears but otherwise bright, intact and protected in removable archival mylar protector.; 12mo (7 to 7-1/2 in. tall); xxxiii, 409 pages .
Review this book and you’ll be entered for a chance to win !
(Log-in or Create an Account first!)
- Bluebird Books (US)
- Bookseller’s Inventory #
- A History of the Borgias (Modern Library #192.1)
- CORVO, Frederick Baron; [ROLFE, Frederick William]
- Book condition
- Used - Very Good+ in Good+ dust jacket
- The Modern Library / Random House
- Place of Publication
- New York
- Date Published
- Bookseller catalogs
- >>Biography, Autobiography, Memoir; >>European History; >>Religion and Spirituality;
Terms of Sale
All sales sold on a satisfaction guaranteed basis--all we ask is that you notify us within 30 days of purchase that you would like to return an item.
About the Seller
Biblio.com member since 2005
Ask Seller a Question
About Bluebird Books
Bluebird Books is the bookselling business of Eric Mayer, operating from my base in Littleton, Colorado. I specialize in classic fiction and literature, books on birds and natural history, railroadiana, biography, history and many other genres. Bluebird Books features publications by the Modern Library and Everyman's Library. I offer free shipping on books shipped within the US via USPS Media Mail. INTERNATIONAL ORDERS: I recommend that you use Biblio.com for your international orders because they have formed a partnership with Asendia to allow for much more affordable shipping on parcels weighing under 5 lb. (about 2.26 kg).
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- A duodecimo is a book approximately 7 by 4.5 inches in size, or similar in size to a contemporary mass market paperback.... [More]
- A term used to denote a condition a slight grade better than Good.
- The outer portion of a book which covers the actual binding. The spine usually faces outward when a book is placed on a shelf.... [More]
- Any printing of a book which follows the original edition. By definition, a reprint is not a first edition.
- Sometimes used as another term for dust jacket, a protective and often decorative wrapper, usually made of paper which wraps... [More]
- The page bound on the left side of a book, opposite to the recto page.
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched... [More]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in... [More]