Payment Methods Accepted
About This Item
Wm. H. Allen & Co. London. 1841-45. First editions. Six volumes. Octavo. xvi, 574pp + publisher's catalogue; xvi, 576pp + publisher's catalogue; viii,575pp + publisher's catalogue; xi, 734pp + publisher's catalogue; xi, 586pp, 6 coloured folding maps; x, 549pp. Original embossed cloth, gilt to spines. Untrimmed, and partially unopened. Toned. Pale blue ink spot to upper margin I:77. Some wear and chipping to tops and tails of spines. Hinges tender. Corners bumped. J. E. Heeres inked stamp to top corner of title page to the first volume.
From the library of Jan Ernst Heeres (1858-1932) Dutch archivist and politician. Professor of Colonial History at the Indian Institute, Delft, from 1897. Translator of Tasman's Journal, and author of 'De Oost-Indische Compagnie', 1902.
Review this book and you'll be entered for a chance to win $50!
(Log-in or create an account first!)
- Paul Haynes Rare Books (GB)
- Bookseller Inventory #
- The history of the British Empire in India (Six Volume Set)
- Thornton, Edward
- Book condition
- Used - See item description
- Quantity available
- Wm. H. Allen & Co.
- Place of Publication
- Date published
- History, Colonial History, Military History, India
- Bookseller catalogs
- Travel and Exploration; History; Military History; Provenance, Bookplates and Associations; Politics; The Middle East, India and Asia;
Terms of Sale
Paul Haynes Rare Books
We hope to describe items accurately, and any purchase may be returned if it does not correspond with the description, on condition that postal arrangements for return are confirmed as soon as possible with us in advance of return.
30 day return guarantee, with full refund including original shipping costs for up to 30 days after delivery if an item arrives misdescribed or damaged. All items are fully insured during transit, a signature will be required on delivery. Heavier items and multi volume sets may incur a commensurate increase in the postage cost. Post Brexit postage costs have suddenly increased, and may be subject to change. We will endeavour to find the most cost efficient means of postage for our customers. If we can find a lower price for postage we will adjust the charge accordingly. Regrettably, European customers may find that there are currently long delays in delivery due to the Brexit chaos.
About the Seller
About Paul Haynes Rare Books
Some terminology that may be used in this description includes:
- "Cloth-bound" generally refers to a hardcover book with cloth covering the outside of the book covers. The cloth is stretched...[more]
- Another of the terms referring to page or book size, octavo refers to a standard printer's sheet folded four times, producing...[more]
- A state in which all or some of the pages of a book have not been separated from the adjacent pages, caused by a traditional...[more]
- title page
- A page at the front of a book which may contain the title of the book, any subtitles, the authors, contributors, editors, the...[more]
- A defect in which small pieces are missing from the edges; fraying or small pieces of paper missing the edge of a paperback, or...[more]
- The decorative application of gold or gold coloring to a portion of a book on the spine, edges of the text block, or an inlay in...[more]
This Book’s Categories
- History Western History European History Western European History British History
- History Asian History
- Politics, Government and Law Politics
- Politics, Government and Law Political Science
- Travel & Exploration Travel
- Hobbies & Crafts Collecting Book Collecting
- Antiquarian & Rare Collectible Books
- Military & Military History Military Collectibles